What tanks do I have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Construction Nut

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I bought these two tanks for cheep when I was first buying scuba equipment. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them. I assumed that they where a double tank setup but they did not come with a valve to hook them together or any bands. I think they are steel but do not know for sure. What may they be worth? I think I would like to trades them for a larger tank. They do not fit on my BC very well because of the small diameter size of the tank.

The markings on the tanks are: DOT-3AA 3000-91/905/155 M8303 FARBER ITALY 10 A 91+ SCUBAPRO
The first Hydro stamp is 2/96

image.jpegimage 2.jpegimage 4.jpeg

The first hydro was actually 10/91 when it was made and got it's plus rating. 2/96 was the first requalification. At that point it lost it's + rating. (Maybe they didn't know the REE number and/or how to qualify it for +. Maybe it failed. Hard to say... )

Speaking of that plus rating, the means it's an LP tank. The 3000 is a little unusual for an LP tank. I looked at the Scuba Tank Specs page and the only tank I see that is 3000+ rated made by Faber is an LP72. Your tank should have a diameter of 6.75" and be 20.5" tall without valve. Also it should weigh 28.7lbs.

If that all fits, I think that's what you have.

Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan

---------- Post added June 9th, 2013 at 09:11 PM ----------

I just saw the pictures. Your tank is taller and thinner. I'd email Faber and ask them.

These are ScubaPro MP3000 (mid pressure 3000psi) "slim" 72cuft cylinders. They can have a + rating again if you get the REE which if you contact Faber they can supply.

From this post:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...b-scubapro-71-4-cu-slim-72-a.html#post6466407

2) 550 cubic inches internal volume, 6" diameter, 25.39" tall, 3000 psi, weight = 26 pounds, buoyancy = -7.6 pounds full, - 2.3 pounds empty. This tank held 71.4 cu ft at a plus rated 3,300 psi.

The one valve appears to be a yoke valve, while the other appears to have been from a manifold.

We used to call these 'slimline' tanks. Made by Faber and distributed by ScubaPro. They were basically 72's with a little higher working pressure and a bit skinnier.

These are ScubaPro MP3000 (mid pressure 3000psi) "slim" 72cuft cylinders. They can have a + rating again if you get the REE which if you contact Faber they can supply.

From this post:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...b-scubapro-71-4-cu-slim-72-a.html#post6466407

2) 550 cubic inches internal volume, 6" diameter, 25.39" tall, 3000 psi, weight = 26 pounds, buoyancy = -7.6 pounds full, - 2.3 pounds empty. This tank held 71.4 cu ft at a plus rated 3,300 psi.

The one valve appears to be a yoke valve, while the other appears to have been from a manifold.

Attachments

• scubapro71slims.jpg
    scubapro71slims.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 89
The one valve appears to be a yoke valve, while the other appears to have been from a manifold

A buddy had a pair, both with left(?) tank manifold valves. He's said all the ones being sold when he bought them had the same valve, and any I've seen since had the same side valve, I would bet the other valve is not the origional. It's a great tank if one has to make a long walk to the water.

@Construction Nut
Another quirk is the manifold valve may not like a standard o-ring, if it leaks or pops when you pressurize the reg look for a slightly larger o-ring. Drove me nuts when I borrowed my buddy's tank.

Slimline 72s. They are a great tank with a small cultish following. After hydro and vis, you will have no issue getting $175 each for those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom