What size pony would you carry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy:
I lost you on, "I don't think I can plan for OOA." I am not understanding that satement??
A 30cf. would be plenty of emg. reserve gas.
:)

I'm saying there are situation such as equipment failure or my buddy OOA, that I can't plan for. I don't plan dives with pony in mind. I think the choice is coming down to 30 or 40. I'll check the price and compare them at my shop. Hopefully, they give me a good deal.

Soggy, am I following you?
You may not be able to plan the event;
you can plan a method of egress considering human error and/or equipment failure(s).

divnamite:
I'm saying there are situation such as equipment failure or my buddy OOA, that I can't plan for. I don't plan dives with pony in mind. I think the choice is coming down to 30 or 40. I'll check the price and compare them at my shop. Hopefully, they give me a good deal.

Oh but you can 'plan' for OOA situations,,,,you began that process in even your O/W program to a degree. It would take more than this post to cover all the options you have,,,but please contact a competnet mentor and further study planning for u/w emg..

I use a 13 in warm water open ocean diving. I've tested it from 160', I solo no deeper than 120' and it worked fine and I had air left. A lot depends on your SAC.

And yes I made sure I was breathing heavier than normal to simulate stress.

Sorry I just have to....
I wouldn't use a pony... I mean first you have to buy all the specialty gear to be able to use one. Then when you throw it in the water it thrashes all about freaking out and stuff. I mean really where does one find fins to fit hooves...lol
If you're going to use an animal try the scuba cat... i hear he's cool with the water and the gear already.

i generally dive a 19, and i am almost always diving with a pony. In NJ, most, if not all boats require some sort of redundant air supply. In regards to a previous post, I hardly notice a difference when diving with a pony. Mine never moves around or bothers me.

I have used a 19 for about 5 years. I started with a 6 cu ft [ a waste of money] then went to a 13. When I started going deeper I changed to a 19. Like others have said, I don't notice it on my back and I feel it is the min size down to about 125. Beyond that I sling a 30 or 40.

Back
Top Bottom