What size is your Nitrox tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colsonn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would really like to buy a tank for nitrox, but I cannot figure out what size would be best for me (cubic ft.) I am looking right now at a high pressure steel, but I would like to know what you all have and dive. Side note, I am not looking to invest in doubles just yet.

Thanks, nick

1) Cubic feet
2) Pressure
3) Material
4) Company

HP Steel 100

Pressed Steel Company.

It depends on your SAC rate.

If your consumption is the same or a little worse than your buddy's, a Faber low pressure Steel 95 is nice. It's a little bigger than an 80, so you can dive with people who have slightly better air consumption and not feel bad about cutting their dive short. If you already have a good SAC rate, it's still a very nice tank.

It's also got nice buoyancy characteristics, and since it's a low pressure tank, means that you can always get a good fill.

I'd forget the high pressure steel unless you have a need for it and own your own compressor or know a dive shop that can actually fill it for you on a regular basis. Very few shops I've seen can produce the pressure an HP tank is rated for on a regular basis.

Terry

colsonn:
I would really like to buy a tank for nitrox, but I cannot figure out what size would be best for me (cubic ft.) I am looking right now at a high pressure steel, but I would like to know what you all have and dive. Side note, I am not looking to invest in doubles just yet.

Thanks, nick

1) Cubic feet
2) Pressure
3) Material
4) Company

My Nitrox tank is a Luxfer 3000 psi aluminum 80 (with a Genesis K valve). This is the same specification as my standard air tank (because it is the same tank). User caution is required, regarding the contents. However, it has rarely contained EANx. and I have only used it for Texas lake diving. A Nitrox sticker and dedicated tank are not required (even if your LDS would like to sell you more gear).

steel LP 100. If i had it to over, I'd go with the LP 95

Bob_B:
steel LP 100. If i had it to over, I'd go with the LP 95

Why would you do it over with a LP 95, what about it is better for you?

colsonn:
Why would you do it over with a LP 95, what about it is better for you?

I always had extra gas after a dive due to my SAC rate. The weight difference and nice buoyancy characteristics of the Farber is another factor. I have now gone to doubles so the single tank is being used by my daughter where the 95 would work better as well.

(I almost hate to do this... :) )
Luxfer AL 30
Luxfer AL 40's
USD Steel '72s
Luxfer AL 80s
Faber LP 85s
PST Steel LP 104s
Faber LP 120s
PST E7-120s
PST E8-130s
And I'm lusting after some E7-100s
The one(s) I use, and what's in 'em, depends on the dive...
If you'd like a recommendation, I need to know your SCR and the kind of diving you intend to do.
Rick

Have we discussed DIN versus K valves yet? I'm just curious b/c I am cheap--I'm looking to find a tank with more capacity than a AL 80, but I want to stick with my sherwood 1st and 2nd stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom