What size fins should I get? Pictures included

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
About to purchase a pair of Large Atomic fins from a ScubaBoard member. Went to the local dive shop today and tried on L and XL. Not sure which ones are really best.

Blue are XL and yellow are L. On the XL you can see my toe actually fits all the way through the toe opening and the boots slide in with zero effort.

On the L, I have to wiggle my foot to get it to slide in, but this was using Size 11 boots (shown below) that appear to be wider and have more rubber than mine, as well as on the side of the boot, and I was wearing socks. My boots are felt bottom and more streamlined. I had to wiggle my foot because the rubber was grabbing the inside of the foot pocket. You can see my foot hangs off a little more also. Lady at the dive shop said I should be good with the Large.

Atomic says 9-11 for Large and 11.5-13 for XL. I wear a size 11 boot I believe, 10.5 if they made them. (not 100% sure, cant read the tag on mine anymore) I wear a size 12 sneaker.

What do you guys think? Will I be fine with the L?

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

It is best to try on with correct booties. While you do want a comfortable fit ... no pinch ... could cause cramping. You do not want a sideways movement if the pocket is too large. Consider if getting older, foot may broaden or lengthen. I initially went large and a few years later went with a 7mm tennis shoe sole type bootie so now I need XL.

I wear NIKE 12 EEEE. My XL Smokes are huge. I would consider the L if wearing thinner sole booties.

It is best to try on with correct booties. While you do want a comfortable fit ... no pinch ... could cause cramping. You do not want a sideways movement if the pocket is too large. Consider if getting older, foot may broaden or lengthen. I initially went large and a few years later went with a tennis shoe sole type bootie so now I need XL.

Well the used Large ones are $60 so I guess I'll give them a shot diving then sell if they don't work out.

I'm 23 and my feet haven't seemed to change much over the years.

What do you mean by pinch? I believe there was a little side to side motion on the L so I probably shouldn't go bigger.

For that price you can easily sell them if they do not meet your needs. Ill fitting gear that is too tight can cause localized cramping of the foot. I think you will be please with the fins.

What is this cramping like? More towards the top of the foot? They should fit ok with my felt boots, but like you said, for that price I'll give it a shot. I love split fins but my blue ScubaPro TwinJets are a little soft and buoyant for my preference. Been eyeballing the Atomics for the while and the girlfriend just picked up a pair haha

Is it 'cool' you 'use' your LDS as a free fitting room for your secret WWW purchases ?

I think going there would waste my time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom