What should I wear for multi-day repetitive dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm trying to decide what type of exposure protection I should buy. I'm spending a week in Key Largo in June. Diving the wrecks (60-130 ft) and reefs and doing the Rescue Diver course. Probably not more than 2 maybe 3 dives a day. Then we're headed to the Bahamas for some liveaboard diving. Three or 4 dives a day in what I believe is shallower diving. Mostly above 70ft with a few sites hitting maybe 90 or 100.

I dove 2-3 tanks a day in Jamaica with just a shorty and was comfortable. But I want full body protection from now on. I don't know whether to get a 3/2 mm or something like the Mares Revolution which is a 1mm. I've been reading the doing multi-day repetitive diving tends to chill a person. I don't have much body fat and I'm naturally cold anyway. Usually my arms.

I'm leaning toward the 3/2 but I don't want to overheat. Any advice?

If you're naturally cold anyway, I'd definitely do the 3/2. The water should be in the 80's in Key Largo, and I'd guess a similar temperature in the Bahamas, but it'll definitely be colder than your natural body temperature, so will lower your core temperature eventually.

Good example is that I don't tend to chill easily and wear a 3mm full suit in water down to 72 degrees. Last month we dove 8 days straight in Maui in 79 degree water. On days 7 and 8 I was getting cold on our 2nd dive of each day, and wished I had a thicker suit. Since we're on the Nekton Pilot in December in Belize and the water will be a similar temperature to Maui, I bought a 5mm suit since we'll be diving 4x a day for 6 days, and I know the likelyhood that I'll get cold mid-week is high.

I get cold easily so I dive Florida in either a 3mm full suit with a 3mm shorty over it or an old 1/4 inch that has compressed over the years. I have found that no matter what I wear I'm warmer if I wear a hood and gloves. I'm a happy diver when my head and hands are warm :biggrin:
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
I get cold easily so I dive Florida in either a 3mm full suit with a 3mm shorty over it or an old 1/4 inch that has compressed over the years. I have found that no matter what I wear I'm warmer if I wear a hood and gloves. I'm a happy diver when my head and hands are warm :biggrin:

I'm going to assume you are talking about the winter months. I would die if I wore that much neoprene in the height of summer. As I understand it the water temp off the Keys in June is in the 80's. Is that correct?

Ber Rabbit:
I'm a happy diver when my head and hands are warm :biggrin:

I agree. I usually feel the chill on my arms first but with good gloves and a core warmer the arms are much less of an issue.

Pete

In Truk we did 3 to 5 dives a day in 85 degree water. I wore a full 3 mm suit and was glad to have it.

dab:
In Truk we did 3 to 5 dives a day in 85 degree water. I wore a full 3 mm suit and was glad to have it.

That seems to be the consensus everywhere I read. I never get cold with just a shorty but I've never been on a liveaboard. I guess I'll continue to look for a 3mm then. But I'll pass on the hood and gloves :D I'll leave those for my dry suit diving.

scubamickey:
I'm going to assume you are talking about the winter months. I would die if I wore that much neoprene in the height of summer. As I understand it the water temp off the Keys in June is in the 80's. Is that correct?

We were there in August and I was happy in the full 3mm with the 3mm shorty over it with gloves and 1/4" hood. Late June at Panama City the water was in the high 70's and I was happy in the old 1/4 suit, got tired of freezing in the full 3mm/shortie combo.

I dive in Ohio and am happy in a newer 1/4" wetsuit in 55-60 degree water yet cold in a dry suit in the same temperature. It doesn't seem to make sense at first but in Ohio I expect to be cold and when I get in and it isn't as cold as my mind thought it would be I am warm. Florida has warm water and I get in expecting to be warm but end up colder than what my mind expected and that makes me feel colder still. The end result is I'm colder in 75+ degree water in a thick suit than I am in 55 degree water. Dry suit is the same deal, I go in expecting to be really warm in my thick undies and I'm not as warm as I expect to be so the wetsuit seems warmer because I don't end up being as cold as I'm prepared for.

Once I discovered warm hands the happiness factor in any temperature went way up :)
Ber (the hot/cold oddball) :lilbunny:

Drysuit with full hood and gloves. Just kidding, I would think the 3/2 or a 3mil would be perfect. I usually wear a 3/2 in tropical climates, but when I was on a liveaboard for a week, the last 2 dives of the day, I would get cold. Repetetive diving really does chill you a bit. Rule of thumb for repetetive dives for me is one step above what I would wear if it was just 1 or 2 tanks.

Back
Top Bottom