What should i look for in a dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shane,

Buying a drysuit is like buying a car.

Different people like different features and styling touches for reasons that are neither universally rational or logical. They like something because it works for them on many different levels. Its as simple as that.

In this thread you've strongly argued for Bare. nereas apparently like Diving Concepts and Zeagle, goes lite on the Starbucks, and appears to piss on any nearby bulkhead before zipping up, which must make him wildly popular with the charter captains.

I happen to like DUI because they make an excellent drysuit, mine has worked flawlessly for 5 or 6 years now, the zippers are incredible, the thing is bulletproof in terms of leaving it inverted on a drysuit dryer for a couple weeks at a time, and it takes incredible abuse in terms of abrasion both in caves and offshore wrecks and comes out looking great. So it works for me.

I might like a Cadillac and you might prefer a Lexus. Who cares? Either will work just fine - its a question of which one works better for your own personal tastes.

I encouraged the OP to look at DUI. I really don't care what he buys, but DUI makes a great suit.

Glad you're happy with your Bare.

Oh....I get in the drysuit in the morning some winter weekends shortly after boarding the charter boat. I may have the thing on most of the day - first dive, surface interval, and second dive. In the winter in the PNW hot coffee, cocoa, and soup make great surface interval hot wets. A pee valve comes in handy, unless you just get off whipping it out and pissing against the bulkheads. But to each their own.

Dive safe,

Doc

Shoulder dump. My current suit has a wrist dump and I can't get used to it. Gotta raise my air all the time instead of rolling slightly to the right.

All you need to do is use the bulkhead before you zip up your drysuit, and then you should be good for 2 to 4 hours.

nereas apparently like Diving Concepts and Zeagle, goes lite on the Starbucks, and appears to piss on any nearby bulkhead before zipping up, which must make him wildly popular with the charter captains.

A pee valve comes in handy, unless you just get off whipping it out and pissing against the bulkheads.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

nereas[/B]
All you need to do is use the bulkhead before you zip up your drysuit, and then you should be good for 2 to 4 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Intrepid
nereas apparently like Diving Concepts and Zeagle, goes lite on the Starbucks, and appears to piss on any nearby bulkhead before zipping up, which must make him wildly popular with the charter captains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Intrepid
A pee valve comes in handy, unless you just get off whipping it out and pissing against the bulkheads.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Dont laugh. I have a back entry suit. Nobody mentioned and I didn't think about the "logistics" of taking a leak with my back entry suit. When you pull your arms and head out, you are left with the full top half of the suit flopping in front of you! I have not yet worked up the courage to try to shoot through the neck seal as it is draped in front of me! You pretty well have to take the whole damn thing off.

I find that the shoulder exhaust valve is not quite on the high point of the shoulder. On my suit, the back zipper forces the placement of the valve slightly to the front of the shoulder - I have to do a bit of a roll to get the valve up high.

Being a Maritimer by origin, I understand the terms :).

My comments regarding the "difficuties" regarding a back entry suit still stand, regardless of where one does his "business" - as in most things in life, timing is everything :).

Shane,

Buying a drysuit is like buying a car.

Different people like different features and styling touches for reasons that are neither universally rational or logical. They like something because it works for them on many different levels. Its as simple as that.

In this thread you've strongly argued for Bare. nereas apparently like Diving Concepts and Zeagle, goes lite on the Starbucks, and appears to piss on any nearby bulkhead before zipping up, which must make him wildly popular with the charter captains.

I happen to like DUI because they make an excellent drysuit, mine has worked flawlessly for 5 or 6 years now, the zippers are incredible, the thing is bulletproof in terms of leaving it inverted on a drysuit dryer for a couple weeks at a time, and it takes incredible abuse in terms of abrasion both in caves and offshore wrecks and comes out looking great. So it works for me.

I might like a Cadillac and you might prefer a Lexus. Who cares? Either will work just fine - its a question of which one works better for your own personal tastes.

I encouraged the OP to look at DUI. I really don't care what he buys, but DUI makes a great suit.

Glad you're happy with your Bare.

Oh....I get in the drysuit in the morning some winter weekends shortly after boarding the charter boat. I may have the thing on most of the day - first dive, surface interval, and second dive. In the winter in the PNW hot coffee, cocoa, and soup make great surface interval hot wets. A pee valve comes in handy, unless you just get off whipping it out and pissing against the bulkheads. But to each their own.

Dive safe,

Doc

Doc,
You're right that buying a drysuit is similar to buying a car and that different people have different needs, wants, desires and budgets. I was simply saying that you might want to include some of your experiences or why you like DUI. I don't think anyone's argued that DUI doesn't make a great suit. They certainly do make a great product.
I know if I'm looking for thoughts and comments on certain gear, I would prefer to hear reasons rather than just where to look. Personal experience along with a recommendation goes a long way.
Shane

Here are a few posts that might help.

One

Two

Three

What would be the ideal 1st drysuit? I have been diving with a 7mm/5mm jumpsuit and am getting ready for some winter diving at a local lake here in Georgia. Bottom temps should be in the 40s-to low 50s by Dec. or Jan. time frame.

THANKS

Frankly I don't think that there's a "first" drysuit, one is not really easier than another, each design presents it's own challenges and advantages. It's really going to depend on what sort of diving your doing. The trilams are, as I've said before, second best at everything ... which is no mean feat and makes them your best choice if you're doing a lot of different diving and don't want to buy a bunch of different suits. If your doing one sort of diving, and that diving's local, there are likel better alternatives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom