What should I get for a metal detector?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Use the right tool for the right conditions/job at hand....

The Equinox 800 is a pretty good machine...but has a max depth rating of 10'...

I have multiple detectors, because different jobs require different machines.

Tesoro Tigershark for freshwater diving...good to 180'

Minelab Excaliber 1000 "Bluetube" for saltwater work, beaches, wading etc that require being able to discriminate targets....

I use a aquapulse AQ1 B for most of my deepwater ocean work because it is pretty much the gold standard when it comes to recovering old Spanish silver and gold specie....and it's tougher than nails when getting banged around getting on and off a salvage ship 40 miles offshore in less than " nice" conditions lol.

You will need to have different detectors based on what you actually want to do, where, and how.

I really want to get into metal detecting while diving. I have no experience at all with metal detectors. I don't need anything that will go super deep, but something that can handle 30fsw is a must.

What should I be looking for? Are there any detectors in particular that anyone reccomends? My budget can handle up to $1,000 USD, but I would really like to keep it below $700 if I can do that without buying junk.

There is a uses minelab excalibur v1 with a 10" coil upgrade that I found for $600. Would this be ok for someone just starting out and is this a good deal?
I have done extensive research on this subject. I’m not swayed by a brand name or other people’s opinions. I found for me ( fresh water hunter) I use the Tesoro tiger shark. Say what you want about PI machines, and they are good. I like the fact that it uses a microprocessor and can detect the smallest amount of gold. Mine came with the 10 inch coil cost about $800

Does anyone have a specific reason to opine on whether this: https://www.questmetaldetectors.com/scuba-tector-pro is likely to be more than a toy?
It’s not a toy, it really works. I have the
Quest XPointer Scuba Tector Underwater PI Li-Poly Metal Detector.
I use it as a pin pointer after I sweep with the Tesoro tiger shark 10inch coil. Very accurate. Good tool to have with you.

Benny, glad to here you are working on your diving skills. Keep at it and remember not to get side tracked using your detector at the expense of your safety. Not sure of your experience level but if I may make a few suggestions .
If you are diving a new location, try diving the area without the detector first preferably with a buddy to get the lay of the land so to speak.
Keep your dives shallow at first so you can get comfortable with the new task loading that operating a detector will bring. Don't get so involved in hunting that you forget to watch your instruments or miss changes in sea conditions. Stay out of the really thick weed beds until you are more comfortable.
I use a CZ21 with a hand probe and do quite well. Also, remember to have fun.

Back
Top Bottom