What should I get for a metal detector?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I recall correctly he has also drowned a few machines, so I would be cautious about taking a $2500.00 machine where it wasn't designed to go. I'd rather spend the $1200.00 a purposeful machine like the Excal or the CZ21.

I think he did until he figured out what works. And also took 1 way to deep to see when the pressure would crack the screen. Ever since I re did my orings on mine I haven't had a issue. I did drown mine 1 time. But it was a fast fix by MineLab. I now just use my Equinox 800 in the water. When i start scuba diving I will pick up another Excalibur.

I think he did until he figured out what works. And also took 1 way to deep to see when the pressure would crack the screen. Ever since I re did my orings on mine I haven't had a issue. I did drown mine 1 time. But it was a fast fix by MineLab. I now just use my Equinox 800 in the water. When i start scuba diving I will pick up another Excalibur.

That's good that Minelab fixed it for you.......well depending on the price of course.

I love my CTX but haven't taken it past the 10'.......well okay maybe a little, but not too deep. :)

The Nox is a great machine, I was fortunate to be at the launch in the UK last September and gave it a quick spin.

Have you seen the new machines that Makro/Nokta have come out with. Could be interesting. :thumb:

That's good that Minelab fixed it for you.......well depending on the price of course.

I love my CTX but haven't taken it past the 10'.......well okay maybe a little, but not too deep. :)

The Nox is a great machine, I was fortunate to be at the launch in the UK last September and gave it a quick spin.

Have you seen the new machines that Makro/Nokta have come out with. Could be interesting. :thumb:

Only thing I had to pay was shipping yo them. Mine drown in 3 feet of water.

It's not an excal II just an excal. It is great! I've already found a bunch of old Sterling rings and one gold wedding band. The one I got does have a few small issues though so I should probably send it out to get fixed this winter.

It's still not a bad deal for an Excal I !

I use my CTX for 10' max, and have had decent luck. Are you diving alone at that depth, or have you found a buddy who likes to hunt as well?

I've found that even if you find a dive buddy to detect with, you're still basically solo-diving, because if you and your buddy get within 20 feet of each other, your metal detectors begin to interfere with each other. Any closer than 20 feet and both machines will go crazy!

I've found that even if you find a dive buddy to detect with, you're still basically solo-diving, because if you and your buddy get within 20 feet of each other, your metal detectors begin to interfere with each other. Any closer than 20 feet and both machines will go crazy!

Interesting.

I knew that there is always a possibility of other detector running on the same frequency, but I just change my settings on the CTX. I didn't know that it couldn't be done with the Excal?

I will have to look into that?

Interesting.

I knew that there is always a possibility of other detector running on the same frequency, but I just change my settings on the CTX. I didn't know that it couldn't be done with the Excal?

I will have to look into that?

I don't believe that you can do that with an Excal. If you find a way, let me know!

Is it possible to do two dives in which first one buddy is metal detecting, and the other buddy is along for the dive, then switch off so the other guy gets to detect? This is for dive buddy pairs that don't want to take the chance on solo diving.

Is it possible to do two dives in which first one buddy is metal detecting, and the other buddy is along for the dive, then switch off so the other guy gets to detect? This is for dive buddy pairs that don't want to take the chance on solo diving.
Why not?! :)

I'd like to follow up this question with: "What equipment should I get besides the metal detector?".

When the detector "hit" something, you want to get it out of the ground without stirring up too much dirt. Do you use a colander? :wink: Any tips?

Is there a book "Scuba metal detection for dummies"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom