What should I do?

What should I do?

• Take back the Princeton Tec set and use the $$ for the UK HID?

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Keep the Princeton Tec set and save up for a Halcyon Canister in the far future?

Votes: 13 65.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently aquired the Princeton Tec Light set (Shockwave II, Surge, and LED Locator light) for $80 (actually, it was a christmas gift).

I've heard that HID are sooo much better. But a canister light is out of the question here (Dr. Jay = broke college student). I've heard a lot of good things about the UK HID Light. My Princeton Tek light set is unused (so I can probably get the $$ back for it - that leaves me with $80). I've already got one of the small UK mask lights (Mini Q-40 I think).

So, considering the $80 is a sunk cost, the purchase of the HID would be around $70 extra - total of around $150 (from what I gather from previous posts and internet prices, etc.)....

1. should I go ahead and take the light set back and go for the UK HID? or
2. should I keep the Princeton set and save my pennies for a $1000 canister light in the far future?

Eventually, once I graduate (this semester...WOHOO!) and am making the mad :money: (so I hope :) ) I'll go for the Halcyon Canister. Keep in mind that it's going to be a while before I can afford that canister :wink:

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
I recently aquired the Princeton Tec Light set (Shockwave II, Surge, and LED Locator light) for $80 (actually, it was a christmas gift).

I've heard that HID are sooo much better. But a canister light is out of the question here (Dr. Jay = broke college student). I've heard a lot of good things about the UK HID Light. My Princeton Tek light set is unused (so I can probably get the $$ back for it - that leaves me with $80). I've already got one of the small UK mask lights (Mini Q-40 I think).

So, considering the $80 is a sunk cost, the purchase of the HID would be around $70 extra - total of around $150 (from what I gather from previous posts and internet prices, etc.)....

1. should I go ahead and take the light set back and go for the UK HID? or
2. should I keep the Princeton set and save my pennies for a $1000 canister light in the far future?

Eventually, once I graduate (this semester...WOHOO!) and am making the mad :money: (so I hope :) ) I'll go for the Halcyon Canister. Keep in mind that it's going to be a while before I can afford that canister :wink:
www.stealthdive.com . You can get a Halcyon 10 watt HID lighthead with a nice little canister, battery, and charger for a little over $700. Only $620 more and you are in HID heaven!

Are you a business student? I only ask because of your "sunk cost" terminology... :wink:

There is another pack I just saw for retail of $250 which includes the UK Light Cannon. It is similar to the one you bought, except it has everything you want and more. I've seen it in 3 local scuba shops so far for the holidays:

Underwater Kinetics TRIBAL PAK

DISPLAY GIFT BOX INCLUDES:
HID LIGHT CANNON 100
Free 8 C-Cell Alkaline Batteries Included!
Free Lanyard Included!
First affordable HID light for divers and the most powerful light for its size
3X more efficient than standard lights, the Light Cannon is like taking the sun underwater
New miniature HID lamp gives a giant leap in brightness with no increase battery usage
High color temperature gives the beam the same color as sunlight
New HID - High-Intensity Discharge technology
Up to 1000 hour lamp life
Lifetime Warranty!
Power: 25 (equivalent), 10 (actual) watts
Lamp: HID Metal Halide
Battery Life: 3-4 hours
COLOR: Yellow Only
BLUE TANG TITANIUM DIVE KNIFE
Quick disassembly for cleaning, no tools required
Large contoured handle make possible a powerful grip
Hooked edge line cutter
One hand insertion and removal from sheath
Ozone resistant quick release knife straps included
BLADE LENGTH: 5´´
MINI Q40
Free 4 AA Alkaline Batteries Included!
Free Silicon mask strap included: attatch the mini Q40 to your mask strap for hands-free lighting
Rubber sheath molded over to bezel to reduce glare and improve impact resistance
Power: 2.1 watts
Battery Life: 4 - 5 hours
Depth: 500 feet

Thanks for the advice so far.

O-ring:

Light still seems to be a bit pricy. I really wasn't looking at spending anything extra (especially since I got hit pretty hard this christmas) so the $70 was steep enough. Trust me, I would LOVE to have a nice canister light, but not only would I be selling my bone marrow to buy books next semester, my girlfriend would never let me live it down. Thanks for the link though.

BTW - Yep...I'm a business major. M.I.S. actually (kind of like business+computers). Beta Gamma Sigma member (just in case there are any on this board). Thanks for noticing!

DiverBuoy:

Yep, I saw the light set package...only problem...I already own a Mini-Q40 and a dive knife :banging: . If I would have seen that deal b4 I would have jumped on it. Anyway, my dive knife is nothing special. Just a sharp tip. I also carry some SeaSnips. Plus, I'm sure I could get the UK HID with the package, but I like the black case color light better.

I am a proud owner of a stealth dive 10 watt hid light.But i do wanna remind you that no matter which HID light you get that the bulbs are very very expensive should one blow.So also keep that in mind if you go that route.Knock on wood my bulb is doing great.

I did my own diving light and it did not cost
me 25% form the one they are sold in the market ,
+go to 100m
made from stainless steel titanium
and 100W for 1 hour
u can see how it look like and here as well
u can see who its was made ( some steps )
in this web site.....

http://www.geocities.com/no_limit_divers/rs1

Dr. Jay once bubbled...

Spending $1000 for a canister light is ridiculous. There are lights out there just as good as the Halcyon for reasonable prices.

Phil

MechDiver once bubbled...
Spending $1000 for a canister light is ridiculous. There are lights out there just as good as the Halcyon for reasonable prices.
If so...what are they? Is the UK HID Light Cannon one of them? Should I just keep the Princeton Tec set? I'm trying to find a nice light under $150 (see original post). Have I got too many lights with that set (remember I already have the Mini-Q40)?

Anyone know just around how much a new bulb for the UK HID costs?.....nevermind, just looked it up -->$65 on Leisurepro....OUCH :wow:

Someone mentioned making my own light. Now my head is really spinning :confused:.

The poll still seems really divided :think:.

:dotdot:

Canister lights of any type seem to be a lot nicer to dive with than the handheld alternative. Easier to clip off the head, less cubersome, etc.

One of the reasons they are so much more expensive is better designed light heads, and a lot more battery capacity (and thus burn time).

You might check out AUL (American Underwater Lighting). Specifically, their HID offerings are at http://www.aulinc.com/Shopping Cart/enter_main.htm
under lighting systems/HID lighting system. If you wanted, you could save up to get a $375 light, with a $40 charger. Get a Goodman handle when you could afford (and wanted it), and later when manage to make that MIS degree pay off :wink: upgrade your canister for more burn time.

Just an idea :) They also have non-HID lights for a lot less, a possible consideration.

jeff

Dr. Jay once bubbled...

If so...what are they? Is the UK HID Light Cannon one of them? Should I just keep the Princeton Tec set? I'm trying to find a nice light under $150 (see original post). Have I got too many lights with that set (remember I already have the Mini-Q40)?

Anyone know just around how much a new bulb for the UK HID costs?.....nevermind, just looked it up -->$65 on Leisurepro....OUCH

Someone mentioned making my own light. Now my head is really spinning

The poll still seems really divided

Dr. Jay once bubbled...

If so...what are they

Someone mentioned making my own light. Now my head is really spinning :confused:.

The poll still seems really divided :think:.

:dotdot:

As Fetch has said, AUL has nice lights. I have a DiveRite Wreck I 10w HID that was $325 or thereabouts. That and the AUL are probably the least expensive canisters I have found, baring the DIY route. Although I really like the canister for what I got it for (deeper deco and trimix dives), I don't use it all the time as, even thought it's one of the smaller cans, its still heavy and bulky. Also, HID bulbs are $$$ to replace.

Personally, I would stick with what you have as backup and smaller lights are always nice to have, and will probably work well for the majority of your dives, and Princeton Tek are IMO very good lights.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom