What shop in DFW area for AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Streydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to get my AOW locally. I got my OW 3 years ago in Roatan and now have around 140 dives. My next dive trip will probably be in October, I figure some training between now and then will keep me from going crazy. Are there shops around here that can offer this without having to travel too far? I have seen some shops do their deep dives in Lake Travis. I am right in the middle of the Metroplex so any dive shop could work for me. Please give me some suggestions and where they do their training.

Thanks for any input,
Steve

I did my AOW (and further certifications) with High Tide Scuba. You can give them a call. They are in Mansfield, but all the shops in DFW will do the AOW

You would typically do your deep dive at Clear Springs where you just hit 60'

I did my AOW (and further certifications) with High Tide Scuba. You can give them a call. They are in Mansfield, but all the shops in DFW will do the AOW

You would typically do your deep dive at Clear Springs where you just hit 60'

I like clear springs for convenience but it does not get to 60 feet. Possum kingdom, Travis , wheeler branch get deep enough.

I like clear springs for convenience but it does not get to 60 feet. Possum kingdom, Travis , wheeler branch get deep enough.
I checked with a couple shops this week. I was told that the water level at Clear Springs is too low right now to get to 60', one shop told me it was around 52' at it's deepest. They were both heading to Travis in September for a weekend to at least do the deep portions. I really don't want to have to drive 400+ miles RT and have to get a hotel room/ camp to get this done. Before I call more of these shops does anyone know any that would use Wheeler or PK?

Before I call more of these shops does anyone know any that would use Wheeler or PK?

High Tide Scuba uses Wheeler sometimes. That is where I did my AOW a couple years ago. They are actually going to be there this coming weekend for a small OW class

Travis is better but the vis might be crap.

But the vis might be crap everywhere.

When I lived in the DFW metroplex I trained through Grapevine Scuba. CB, the owner, runs a great shop. Not sure where the shop is taking the students for AOW. Most of the instructors at the shop preferred Windy Point at Travis, especially for the deep dive.

Grapevine SCUBA - (817) 488-4999

Check with the Dallas shops about a Kraken trip. It would be the perfect trip for adv deep dive and a warm clear dive that would be more of a fun dive with training than just a training dive. It makes long drives move palatable.

Thanks everyone for the info. One of the shop owners yesterday told me that they had heard visibility at Travis was good recently. I was just trying to find a closer place to take the class.

I live close to Grapevine Scuba, thanks for the heads up. I hadn't checked them out since the are not PADI, I guess I could go between agencies. It does look like NAUI requires 6 dives instead of 5.

Kraken trip? Is that a new sunken ship in the gulf?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom