What Scares You The Most?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danktex:
My Halcyon inflater.

:lol: Having a Halcyon inflator, I know what you mean. Mine contributed to an uncontrolled assent last week.

After that, I fear any diver with a speargun.

Jon

Imagine the biggest tail-gating, road-raging, this-WHOLE-friggen-freeway-belongs-to-me" blowhard you've ever seen in traffic.

Now imagine that person as a fish.

Do these little fellows hang out around Cozumel,or better yet,how about mid-west quarries? They sure are pretty fish though.

heliflyer:
Do these little fellows hang out around Cozumel,or better yet,how about mid-west quarries? They sure are pretty fish though.

As far as I know they're pretty common throughout the tropics. To be fair they're usually ok if you keep your distance. They only seem to get really belligerent when they're nesting.

Part of it is also knowing what to do if they get wound-up. Their territory extends like a cone to the surface so if you go up all you're doing is intruding even more (from the fish's point of view). But if you stick close to the bottom you'll have more luck.

BTW, some types of trigger fish aren't really "little guys".....and the closer they get the bigger they get... :D

R..

Vampires of the deep, I tell ya:

AAAV06P07_16.jpg

My biggest fear is driving to the dive site...I hate I-95. Feel safe underwater, but dread the trip home

My biggest fear is not being there for my buddy in an emergency, either because I didn't notice or understand what was happening, or because I didn't think correctly or efficiently enough to help. I take my role as teammate very seriously.

My biggest fear lately was getting in a car for a three hour trip through the mountains in Indonesia with a driver nobody knew, did not speak English and would not make eye contact. He played loud Metallica and drove like a maniac almost having a head on with a petro tanker, passing on a blind curve and wiping out an entire family on a moped. I let out some expletives that involved the messiah and profanities I was so afraid. That made him like me even less and then my mind took a field trip and started beleiving I was being kidnapped and would be chained to a tree in the jungle the way that minister and his wife was in the Phillipines a while back. The things that scare me are always just things I conjure up in my mind. Oh...and the thought of what my daughter is doing at the playboy mansion while we are out of the country! The good thing about children is that they scare you so much you never worry for yourself again....Oh and I was worried JB would lose his legs and sit at the bottom of my stairs and yell demands that I get "OFF SCUBABOARD."

Oh...diving.
Poor viz makes me nuts and it is a short trip.

TSandM:
My biggest fear is not being there for my buddy in an emergency, either because I didn't notice or understand what was happening, or because I didn't think correctly or efficiently enough to help. I take my role as teammate very seriously.

I feel the same way. And because you feel that way, I'm sure all of your buddies comfortable diving with you. :14:

My biggest fear is having some sort of situation occur underwater and panicking. I can't even imagine how horrible it would be to know that I was the reason a buddy got hurt, or died. No matter how much you practice emergency situations in the pool, or in the water--until it happens you're never sure how you will actually react to something bad.

That, and now I'm very scared of triggerfish. How did I not know how psycho they are? I've seen finscale triggerfish before, and they seemed very non-threatening, but perhaps that's because they're so small...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom