What Scares You The Most?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Devil505

Reaction score
I've been diving since 1969 & have had very few incidents (other than losing my friend & diving buddy to a massive heart attack while swimming on our way back to shore during a beach dive) I live in Massachusetts so most of my diving has been in local waters during the summer/fall months. I must say that what scares me the most is not sharks, Killer Whales or what others (usually non-divers) think would be dangerous down there........It is getting tangled in seemingly inocent & ubiquitous fishing lines, lobster trap lines, dive float lines, etc!! Yes, I do carry a dive knife (which I would never dive without but which, luckily, I have never had to unsheath) for just that eventuality, but I still try to steer clear of any such lines anyway. (Funny how something so innocent on the surface can be so dangerous down below!) Just wondering what things cause concern to other experienced divers ??

The more experienced I get the more I agree that propellers are the thing to fear.

I agree with propellers and/or getting run down by a boat. I once had a boat split me and my buddy in Florida. The surface is the most dangerous place for a diver.

And the really scary thing about propellers are that the advertised mechanism for keeping them away (a dive flag) only seems to attract them, and a boat violating a dive flag never gets assessed a ticket. I hardly ever use a dive flag, unless its in an area where I think I might get a ticket, but instead plan on treating the surface like a soft overhead environment and surfacing only in shallow waters... On boats, I really appreciate captains who will use their boat as a ram to keep other boats off of divers down below...

Definately propellers and triggerfish.

I have seen triggerfish make grown men cry.

Back
Top Bottom