what regulator to purchase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that there is nothing wrong with the design, just my preference for not having anything other than the outer body of the regulator exposed to salt makes it a bit more robust if you have times where you can't rinse them properly, soaking doesn't remove dried up salt buildup, need flow for that, so it makes the whole process simpler

I think you are going overboard with recommending sealed regulators for warm saltwater diving. With proper rinsing and soaking there is no problem with salt or corrosion build-up.

As a general rule in life, not just scuba, I would be hard-pressed to recommend to a newbie in any sport/hobby a piece of gear that required more attention to maintenance (a la "proper rinsing and soaking") when there exists another piece of gear that doesn't have such strict requirements (e.g. just a quick rinse is good enough) and which the newbie likely won't be able to tell a difference anyway.

.... The Scubapro MK-5 is probably the most copied/cloned first stage in history,....

I've still got one as a stage regulator. It does cold saltwater, and cold freshwater and gets a regular service every 15 years or so whether it needs it or not.

... any reputable regulator is fine

That should have been the entire post #2 and the end of the thread.

That's why I bought a T2...:D - Titanium doesn't corrode...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom