What Reg to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Viper_0

New
Reaction score
Hi
I want to buy a reg, for recreational diving, and for water not very cold...55ºF .

What reg is the best/recommend, and why, from this list.

ScubaPro Mk17 + R390
Cressi Ellipse Titanium MC8
Aqualung Titan

Thank You

The MK25 and Titan are both great regs. Otoh, the MK25 will give you many more hose routing options than the Titan. I use an R390 for my back up but prefer a G250HP for my primary second stage. The Titan will not beat the MK25 on a "simulator test" but is a very nice reg in real world diving conditions and is cheaper than the Scubapro. Now you just have to decide whether you want a piston (MK25) or a diaphragm (Titan) first stage... If you want diaphragm, Scubapro also offers the MK17 first stage (which you can pair up with an R390 or other Scubapro second stages).

Have never used the Cressi.

Oh, btw, welcome to SB!

Viper_0:
Hi
I want to buy a reg, for recreational diving, and for water not very cold...55ºF .

What reg is the best/recommend, and why, from this list.

ScubaPro Mk17 + R390
Cressi Ellipse Titanium MC8
Aqualung Titan

Thank You

Sorry, not familiar with the Cressi and I don't know of any shops in my area (DC Metro) that carry them. That should probably say something....

The Mk17 is a diaphragm reg and one of the few that Scubapro has. While it's a fine regulator, the servicing issue comes up again. There are lots of shops in my area that sell Scubapro and plenty of Scubapro trained techs around (I've attended classes with many of them), but they still shy away from the Mk17/Mk18. They're just not that prevalent so techs don't get much experience with them.

However, the Titan is frequently found in rentals and you can runover it with a truck. You will likely be able to find a tech that services Titans on any bassacwards island or diving destination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom