What reg is this pt.2 & "Top 5 SP regs"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgmontgomery

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok...here's another. I know that this is a G250, but is it a "vintage" 250? American made or Italian? How can I tell?
I ask because:
-I want to learn as much as possible --I plan on following the "DIY service plan." See 1st point
-I'm upgrading to a Mk25; the attached S600, however, may NOT be an upgrade.
IMHO (& I'm not as knowledgable as many on this site with regard to the inner-workings of equipment) the S600 is better than some G250 variants (i.e. 250HP & Graphite) BUT not better than a "real" 250/250V.

This might be fun, too. What're your TOP 5 SP regs?
1)Mk25/G250(V)
2) Mk25/S600
3)Mk25/A700
4) Mk20/G250(V) IDK why as the 25=20 more or less
5)Mk25/G250HP or Graphite
Thoughts??
Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 58
as a cold water diver (Great Lakes), the MK-25 is undesirable to me.... I own MK-20's that I use in warm water. No issues at all.... I also use MK-2, MK-3, MK-5, MK-10 & MK-15 stages....

All the G-250 series are essentially the same (except for the HP), and all are outstanding. I own many, and also the 156. Great breathers & simple to tune.

The smaller diaphragm of the S600 in theory will not breathe as easy, but I doubt the difference is really noticeable. i own one, and it's a good reg.

With having the G-250's and an S600, I see no reason for an A700, so I have no experience with them....

I have a G250hp I got in a deal that I am evaluating in the near future. It's 'different", so I'm not favoring it based on kits & tools....

great breathers to me include the converted Pilot, Air1, D-series, 156, G250 variants, 080Hp, perhaps the G250Hp, and the S600,

My cold water first stage is the MK-17...

the "graphite" is still the same as all the other G250 variants (excepting the G250HP)....

You'll get differing opinions about which 2nd stage is "better". IMO it really comes down to personal preference. Once you get very familiar with these regulators you notice that the different models have their own characteristics. The old metal case balanced/adjustables (109/156) have a very different 'feel' than the plastic regs as they have less venturi assist and more warming/moistening of the expanding air. Personally I like this better. The D series have an unusual feel as well, they're remarkably stable in all positions. The center balanced valve was a great innovation and SP was really dumb to discontinue it.

But the bottom line is that all of them work very well, it's just a matter of diving with them and finding out which ones you like the best.

+1 on the "subjectiveness" (my word but I think that it fits) of regs. I think it's a bit like high end audio in that specs d/n really tell the story. Watts, distortion etc. really don't tell how something sounds anymore than WOB tells how a reg breathes.
I will also add that no one has identified the reg...yet. Lol!

FWIW-I think it's an Itailian made G250...not 250V, HP or Graphite. Just a plain ole' (oldie but goodie) 250.

I will also add that no one has identified the reg...yet. Lol!

Go to the ScubaPro Regulator Timeline, and you should be able to date it. Yes, it's is a G250, and an "older" one, but not to be confused with the term "Vintage" used in the G250V. IIRC, they discontinued it, and then brought it back, marketing it "Vintage". I'm waiting to see how long it is gone before it is again resurrected... marketing....

The G250 saw numerous "changes" to get sales. "Graphite", "Crystal", "Painted Face Plates", "Colors", etc. Essentially, the same regulator. The G250HP is the only "oddball" with more parts allowing for the adjustment to the balance chamber and not just the lever. It really just unnecessarily complicated things IMHO.

The funny part, is that the G250V is still being sold, but by Halcyon.....

.... The G250HP is the only "oddball" with more parts allowing for the adjustment to the balance chamber and not just the lever. It really just unnecessarily complicated things IMHO....

Exactly; and the reason it does not fit in as one of my favorites. Yes, it breathes as well as other G250ies, but the silly adjustable balance chamber fine adjustment is a bad idea for more than one reason. First, it is unnecessary. Second, good luck in finding a replacement should any of the parts of that adjustable monkey-motion balance chamber or diver adjustable knob go Tango Uniform. A regular G250 (anything other than an HP) has a balance chamber/lever/spring/poppet/seat/adjustment knob that has commonality with loads of other SP models. When searching for a G250, look for a metal air barrel and standard adjustment knob.

The Balanced Adjustable is my favorite second stage. All metal, easy & inexpensive to rebuild and tune, breathes great, parts readily available, can be downgraded to a non-balanced 109 if desired, Best looking ScubaPro second stage. (The Poseidon Cyklon takes the best looking prize if all makes are included.)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom