What package can I get thats around $700

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diehl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I am new to this board and new to diving. I will be certified on the 20th of Sept. But I do want to own my own gear and have been looking online for packages. My LDS where I will be certified with said they can get me a package put together for $750 which is all Titan brand stuff? I was looking at 123scuba.com and they have a Dacor Rav-2SE package for $499? Is this a good quality package? It comes with a :

Dacor Rav BC
Dacor Eagle sport Regulator
Dacor Eagle Octopus
Dacor supreme 2 guage console
Full manufactrers warranty
free professional assembly and tuning
free duffel bag
free cosole cover
free hose protectors
free octo holder

It seems like a good deal but I'm not familier with the brands of scuba gear. I know Dacor is a good brand but not sure if its the cheaper of the stuff they have? I live in Florida and will mostly be doing beach dives and some dives around 120ft. What packages can you guys suggest if this package stinks? I don't want to spend more then $700

Just a note - perhaps not what you wanted to hear, but there are a lot of people on this board who would agree that Dacor is NOT a good brand. I've never heard of Titan brand stuff... I know Aqualung makes a Titan regulator, which is not a bad reg for the money.

And please -- don't be making 120 foot dives until you have a lot more experience.

Boogie711:
Just a note - perhaps not what you wanted to hear, but there are a lot of people on this board who would agree that Dacor is NOT a good brand. I've never heard of Titan brand stuff... I know Aqualung makes a Titan regulator, which is not a bad reg for the money.

And please -- don't be making 120 foot dives until you have a lot more experience.

Thanks, no I want be going more then 60 feet until I'm more expierenced :wink: Is there any other packages that you could recommend? Just window shopping right now

Rather than run around looking at packages, I'd suggest reading a lot of Scubaboard to discover what particular pieces people like. Very rarely do people prefer to have only Mares stuff or only (fill in blank) stuff.

I've got multiple Apeks regs, which are loved around here for good reason. I've got Halcyon and Oxycheq Backplates and Wings, Scubapro and Mares fins, a DUI drysuit, Mares wetsuit... search first.

And don't buy anything before you're certified. Rent or borrow a crapload of gear first and figure out what you like. You will undoubtedly discover your tastes change, and it would suck to be stuck with a lot of gear you bought and then don't like just because it was cheap.

You can get into cheap mares and dacor packages for the sub $500 price tag... but you can also jump up to their better stuff - with a nice Zeagle BC in the price tag you're looking for - probably even with a dive computer included.

For example, we have a package called the Zeagle Zena and Proton Package starting at $649 - and you could swap out the Zena for a Brigade (since I checked your profile and you're male)... then you could move up to better gauges if you wanted.

You will probably be best off working with someone to figure out what features you want in each piece of equipment, then package it together instead of just buying a "canned" package.

From what I've seen so far I'd highly suggest looking into the Brigade. I recently bought one from ScubaToys, but haven't had a chance to get it wet, though. The vest is heavy duty, but a much smaller bladder for those of us who only plan on using single tanks.

As for the equipment packages, don't get stuck in thinking that all your equipment must be of one brand as boogie711 stated. Take into account what environments in which you will be diving. A cheap reg is not something you'll probably want if you're diving in cold water, or hope to be diving deep in the near future. Keep your eyes open and read what others on this board like/dislike about products. Most importantly, choose what you feel most comfortable using. It's your life that is relying on the equipment, not any of us posting on this board.

Back
Top Bottom