Aqua Lung Pro HD BCD i300C Titan Regulator Package : Any Good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TomsOn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

Looking at first purchase of gear. I am just getting my OW and going to be going to BVI in December. Then Roatan and Cozumel on a cruise. Then Spending the month of April in the Florida Keys. So finally getting certified.

1) I am wondering if I am brand new, having my own gear is a good idea. Or better or rent when I travel.
2) Is this package I am looking at good stuff for Rec Diving>

Aqua Lung Pro HD BCD i300C Dive Computer Titan Regulator Package $999.00

It is on amazon and other places.

Having your own gear is great. You can be comfortable knowing the ins and outs and know it’s service history.

Most people on scubaboard don’t recommend “standard” BCDs. We use what is called a “backplate and wing” or BP/W. You can search on here to read more about them.

That being said, that package would be fine, and the computer is a nice intro one. But if you keep diving and get more involved in the future, you would likely end up replacing a lot of the gear. If you fall into the “but once cry once” philosophy, check out divegearexpress.com. Combining the DGX BPW, dive rite streamlined open water reg, and shearwater peregrine computer will cost you about 1550, so more than you’re looking at now, but will last forever and never need to be junked, no matter how advanced your diving becomes.

My two cents.

I generally avoid packages.

The AL i300 is a fine computer but for a little more you can get the Shearwater Peregrine which is much better and more capable computer or perhaps the AL i330 might be a consideration as well.

On scubaboard most enthusiast divers including me would not be caught dead in a BC other than a BP/wing. So you might be in the wrong place to ask about that, just tossing that out there. There is a huge bias and for good reason to the BP/wing and Hogarthian inspired rigs.

The Titan regulator is a fine, reliable and durable first regulator and I am not in opposition to it but I might recommend moving up to the Core. The Core is essentially a Legend without the pretty face and the adjustment knob and depth compensating first stage, both have the ACD which I rather like.

My opinion, nothing is better than having your own gear unless it is the wrong, own gear!

James

The Pro HD BCD was the one I learned on, and I found it was much better for sitting upright than good trim. I got an Aqualung Dimension, which has the air bladder on the back, and suddenly things were much easier. Everyone here (the hardcore lifetime divers) has a modular backplate system but it's pretty daunting for a newbie to put one together. I mean, most people buy a tent for camping, rather than assembling a tarp, screens, zippers, cord, etc. Modular is more flexible and allows you to dial in exactly what you need, but takes more expertise. I wouldn't sweat it either way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom