What opportunities are there for instructors abroad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimnibob

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am based in the UK and am curious as to what the opportunities are for BSAC/PADI Instructors to work abroad. I don't expect to make a living from it, but am looking at it more as a lifestyle choice for when I retire and would possibly even consider voluntary work.

I would like to do some none dive work in the UK during the summer, but then clear off to warmer climates between Oct and April to do some dive work as an Instructor.

Can anyone advise if they have any experience of dive work abroad and what the opportunities are?

Cheers

James

I left the UK 7 years ago and have been working full time around the world as a scuba instructor since, opportunities exist but you have to work to make them happen

A BSAC instructor cert outside of the UK won't get you very much, of all the agencies, I went PADI because they have the most presence globally so therefore the most job opportunities.

Dive jobs are different the world over, some locations offer set ups that are easier to exist in than others. Languages are more important in Asia, less so in the Caribbean. there is a facebook group caled dive jobs overseas which has posting that come up, if you get on that you will see the kinds of things that come up in different places.

If working for free/cheap - do remember the cost of working visas/permits in the countries you may be employed in. These often aren't supplied by employers.

The priority for employers in most SE Asian destinations is languages. In places that deal primarily with a US market (Caribbean, Mexico, Belize), languages are less important.

BSAC instructor ratings won't get you much, if any, work. PADI qualifications give the most opportunities, but there's a massive surplus of PADI instructors out there... the market is very saturated.

Regards 'lifestyle'.... in most places diving instructors work a very intense schedule. Early mornings, late night and back-to-back open water courses and DSDs. The novelty can wear off pretty quickly. Established/permanent instructors get all the 'prime' work - the specialty courses etc...

My advice is to take a few 'trial runs'... go and see if you can get ad-hoc/freelance work, travel around, network and establish relationships.....

For a sustainable retirement overseas, you're normally in a much better position if you get residence:

1. You can invest in a business.
2. You can marry a local

Otherwise... think about getting qualified to teach English as a foreign language. That's a bigger earner and there's normally demand for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom