what not to bring a backup of?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfalco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My "dive" vacations usually are land based, and mostly only 2-3 dives a day. I do bring a lot of backup gear and things to fix gear.

In November, I'm going on my first liveaboard so I want to bring backups of everything. It is Blackbeard's, so there probably isn't room for 2 full sets of gear. What would you suggest not bringing a backup of? The things I'm questioning most are regulators, fins, and wing.

Do they have any extra rental gear on the boat in case something gets lost or broken? I know things that shouldn't break tend to break on a boat, and I've seen almost everything go overboard from a boat at some point in my life.

Thanks for any advice!

Most liveaboards keep some rental/loaner equipment onboard. I would recommend packing a robust "save a dive" kit with replacement and consumable parts. In addition be sure to have your equipment checked out/serviced before the trip.

On Blackbeards they usually store your luggage onshore once you've emptied it. So pack accordingly.
We have storage at our dock for any empty bags or any bags you won't be needing.
How much storage space is there for my dive gear? There is plenty of space for your dive gear in our top side storage compartments. There is a shelf at the end of each bunk where you can store clothes and other personal items and a few hooks to hang your ditty bag on too.

I wouldn't assume there's a lot of spare gear on board except maybe the crew's personal gear. If you rent gear from them on the trip, you have to do that prior to boarding so they can move it to the boat - they don't store anything on the boat afaik.

btw, I'm getting all this here: FAQs on Nassau scuba diving liveaboard departures

There comes a point where backups dominate your diving. I have seldom seen a wing go bad in open waterafter being transported in the dive bag. fins is another tough one to find a reason to cary a spare. take a spare strap. if your reg is new or never serviced and relatively new you shouldnt need one of them either now you can put a spare first stage in your fix a dive kit.

As far as regs go i dive with H valves so i have 21 regs mounted just like doubles. My fins have steel spring straps, they just dont break. any basic gear you have probably wont break however the straps ect that are attached may. Dont over think the problem, Look at it this way . You have been diving this gear for some time and you now the weak points if any in the tried and tested gear. Plan accordingly. Dont forget orings.

Reach out to the operator. They do this for a living and they'd probably know better than anyone here. They have a lot of equipment on board and have to fix it during the week, so I wouldn't expect that you'll need to bring a backup of anything really. People like myself rent everything other than mask, fins, booties and snorkel (yes, I'm one of those), so you should be fine.

Any dive trip, I only bring backups of two items.....

1. Prescription mask - I can't see without it.
2. A dive computer - I'm a techno geek and like to download dives into my computer.

Both are small and lightweight. Everything else I can probably find wherever I'm diving.

Jim

If you are traveling with a group try to coordinate backups with the whole group. It is unlikely 4 people will all lose a reg. personally I have had to use two back up computers and a mask while on Blackbeards. A buddy broke the elbow on his low pressure inflator after the last dive.

The boat will likely have o-rings and small bits that are in the usual save a dive kit. The crew should be handy at making basic repairs. You should bring batteries, backup light, computer, anything non-standard, maybe second mask. Maybe "power bars" if you are a picky eater. Something for sea sickness, just in case it starts to blow. Snacks to share are always appreciated and make new friends. Red Sox tee shirt.

Why bother buying a duplicate of everything when anything that might break will be available for rent on the liveaboard. That will save you lugging your excess gear through airports, hotels and on the boat.

If you have a spare reg (1st and 2nd stages only), then bring it. If you have your regs serviced before you go, make sure to dive them before you leave. The most common times for problems is right after servicing. I wouldn't bother with fins or wings. I do usually take a second drysuit and undergarment for a cold water trip, but that doesn't apply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom