What next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cornfed:
I stand correct.

Yeah ... just before you walk over the cliff ... :D

... Bob (GreatFull Diver)

cornfed:
However, you don't need to take either rescue or AOW to actually go diving...
Depends on the dive and the dive operator. I did some dives in Belize, and the DMs wouldn't let anyone not AOW go below 60'. AOW is generally a waste of time and money, but rescue is a really informative class, especially if you have no prior First Aid/CPR training.

Fishlips_1:
Well I'm 2/5 the way thru with my AOW and have finished my rescue diver book. Now all I have to do is wait till my instructor has the time to give me my checkout dives. I guess my ? is now. What's next?

Well if your profile is up to date with less than 16 dives IMO just start diving to polish those skills you've been exposed to.

Pete

Fishlips_1:
Well, as far as doing stuff before becoming advanced. When I started my AOW cert. I got in two of the dives before my instructor went to Rotan to divemaster for a resort down there. While diving is great for practicing your buoyancy and such. The book gives more knowledge. I know I'm not the greatest thing, but darn close.LOL No, but really I'm very comfortable in the water and my air consumption is very good and my buoyancy is not of a newbie. My instructor is very impressed by my level of confidence and skill since not being certified before May of 05. I really am a information junky and need to expand my knowledge in any way. Just looking to advance in my skills and cert's.

There's one thing that only logging more dives will teach and its arguably one the most important things in diving - Experience

Since your just starting out, don't get overconfident in the shiny cards. They have limited meaning in the grand scheme of things. Its your knowledge, skills, and expierence that you will draw upon when diving.

So, best bet, go dive. Try new things (at a reasonable pace of course) and have fun.

Right on, as far as the cards go, could really care less. Their like trophies, after awhile they start to clutter things up. The only dif is that some places require the cards. I'm always looking to dive, but buddies with the time are not as easy to find. Someone asked where we dive in Central Oregon, well, lots of high lakes to dive. Like Waldo,Cresent,Cultus, and even Crater lake. The list goes on Clear lake was just in a magizine. All these lakes are very clear with great vis. Waldo,Clear, and Crater would probably be the best. I know that diving is the only way to get actual dive exp. but what's a guy to do on his surface intervals? READ and STUDY. Learned a long time ago, doing gives you exp./studying gives you knowledge. I like both.
Thanks for all the input!
Lips

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom