What Most Irritates Female Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

durian

Reaction score
I wouldput this on the women's forum but I do not read that and I think it is good for us men to know what bothers you.

For example, on a boat dive is there anything you find inconvenient, insensitive, embarrassing etc.

Has the diving community evolved for the better?

I honestly would like to know. I want to be aware and sensitive to my sister divers.

Hi, Durian. The things I find irritating are not to do with other divers or boats but with the female physiology. Especially when dry suits and boats with no heads are involved. I can honestly say that I haven't come across any offensive or sexist behaviour by DM or instructors or any comments of a sexual nature. Basically I would say to you that you should behave when diving as you would otherwise but be slighly more sensitive to physical things that might embarrass women in a group - like bodily functions from the nose downwards. To be girlie for a moment, diving, and drysuit diving in particular, is hardly glamorous and everyone looks a bit of a state. Most women get over that quickly but you will probably find women are less into banter about all the more basic things that go with it.

One thing I think is difficult for men is to know when to help out in lifting tanks or helping with gear etc. Some women might find it patronising others will want a hand. My advice is just to say straightforwardly, would you like a hand, if you see someone struggling.. But then you'd do that anyway, right?

I will be interested in what others say on this.

quite curious to watch how this thread develops as I have a natural ability to place both feet in my mouth at the same time when it comes to areas of sensitivity... Will make an interesting topic of discussion along with the surface interval ciggie and coffee...might even make us a little more concious of our behaviour too!

What Most Irritates Female Divers ?

If she is going thru menopause (as my wife), everything!

I try to be easy-going enough not to let things bother me...

I LOVE it when a guy says, "Want a hand with that..." when he sees me struggling with my gear. I never expect a hand, since it IS my gear, but think it is wonderful when help is offered!

I'm not irritated by much, but there is one thing that comes to mind...

I'm not sure how to say this diplomatically, so I'm just going to say it and hope no one takes offense.

Guys, please refrain from pointing out to me every pair of female breasts (or other parts of the anatomy) that you spot that turns you on.

I'm not talking about the occassional comment or joke shared between two adults. I'm talking about repeated "did you see that!", "what about this one!", and "look at those!" comments.

Remember, while I may be "one of the gang", I am not "one of the guys".

Ann Marie:
I try to be easy-going enough not to let things bother me...

I LOVE it when a guy says, "Want a hand with that..." when he sees me struggling with my gear. I never expect a hand, since it IS my gear, but think it is wonderful when help is offered!

It's really not a women's issue. I can lift my weight integrated BC with weights and steel tank off the ground and put it on but yes, like Ann Marie says above it's nice when someone offers a hand. In fact a few times it's been a female diver who has offered to help un-twist shoulder straps and the like.

There must be something that women dislike about diving. In OW classes you see about a 50/50 mix of men and women getting certified but if you go to the local beaches or boats only 25% at best are women

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom