What model is this regulator??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Under your name the words, "DIVE SHOP" indicating you own or work for a dive shop. What would YOU do if an original owner brings in an AIR 1? If you're not the owner/manager/janitor, what would the owner do?

Couv several years ago Scubapro discontinued parts for life on their regulators unless you were in their system. So Scubapro knows how many Air 1s are out their and still under parts for life. My guess is very few. When talking to Casey at Beaver Divers about the discontinuance of parts for life, he said the regulators should still be under warranty for the original owner. However, you would need to prove it if you are not in the system. I am sure there are not that many people that keep receipts and the warranty card for 30+ years.

the regulators should still be under warranty for the original owner. However, you would need to prove it if you are not in the system. I am sure there are not that many people that keep receipts and the warranty card for 30+ years.

This is true.

@ams511 & @shurite7 OK, SP knows how many regs are covered under parts for life program. But it does not change nor answer my question:

What is a dive shop owner to do if a customer is the original owner and has the warranty?

It also brings up another couple of questions.
Is SP telling shops under no circumstances to service AIR 1s and the ilk?
If a customer brings in an AIR 1 and has the proper parts kit, what to do then?

This is not just a question covering the AIR1 There are millions of regulators out there that could fall into the same category. The MK 5/6/7/9/10 Pilot/108 etc. If a SP shop employee see a reg that's older (and probably more dependable) than he is, what is he to tell the customer? From the many examples we see posted right here on SB, we know what the normal answer is from too many LDS, but what is SP's policy on the matter?

Last edited:
Take the gear in question into an LDS and obtain your answer. If the LDS does not know the answer it can contact the manufacturer.

@ams511 & @shurite7

What is a dive shop owner to do if a customer is the original owner and has the warranty?

If I was the dive shop owner I would tell the truth. I would apologize and tell the customer that I am not qualified to work on that model of regulator as Scubapro no longer provides training on that specific model anymore. I would then tell him I will call the Scubapro rep and ask him who still services that model. I would also ask him where he got the service done last time.

Couv, I am not trying to argue with you but customer service is dead, not just in the scuba business but everywhere. I remember a time when Walmart would open a new register if there were more than 3 people in line, if an item rang up incorrectly you got it for free, and they actually had some salespeople on the floor who actually knew where the products were. When Walmart started selling food they would match any other store's ads, they don't do that any more either.

Let's face it, businesses are more about profits than relationships. Scubapro already screwed divers who bought their expensive computers that did not have user replaceable batteries. After a few years (not 30+), Scubapro did not want to replace the batteries anymore and gave a discount on the purchase of a new model.

Not sure why the seemingly cloak and dagger...I apologize if I'm missing something.

You're not missing anything, just seeing more dive shop obfuscation.

The truly absurd thing about this thread is that a dive shop representative and SP dealer has posted that there is an apparent safety problem with one of SP's regulators that makes that regulator unfit for servicing. Claiming that the part of the case that holds the diaphragm in place can "break away" is definitely a safety issue, correct? Yet there is no safety recall and nothing but evasiveness when questioned about what a customer who owns this regulator should do.

This from the same company and dealer network that refuses to sell parts to customers out of supposed concern for their safety.

Back
Top Bottom