What model is this regulator??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From looking at just pics, the yoke handle looks more like an MK5. Either way I’m going to have the lds clean and service it. If they say it’s ‘good to go’ I’ll give it a try. It has an old SP Air 1second stage attached to it.

The early Mk10s used the same yoke knob as the Mk5. This reg is a Mk10. The yoke on your reg is rated for 3000 psi. Some of the early yokes, on Mk5s, were rated for the low pressure tanks, 2250/2500. Get it serviced and it should work fine. The Air1, however, needs to be replaced. SP has made it clear the Air1 needs to be pulled out of use and not to be serviced. An older G250 will work well with the Mk10. You can usually find a G250 online; just make sure you get it serviced.

Or if you're wedded to an Air-style aux second stage, PM me. I've got extra Air II's I can send you.

I'm sure you're not alone. It takes a lot of care to remove the HP piston o-ring without scratching the journal it sits in. I suspect this is at least part of the reason that SP went to plastic bushings retaining that o-ring in later models.

It wasn't that, the turret was badly overtightened and broke when open the tank valve. Very disturbing experience, and I had paid a so called professional to do that... Of course, I couldn't have my money back, the scoundrel had left without notice...

It wasn't that, the turret was badly overtightened and broke when open the tank valve. Very disturbing experience, and I had paid a so called professional to do that... Of course, I couldn't have my money back, the scoundrel had left without notice...
Consider asking your shop to purchase a stainless turret bolt from Vintage Double Hose. The originally listed torque settings for the brass Scubapro bolt are too high (70 in-lb) and they later dropped that to 35 in-lb.
The VDH bolt can be torqued to 70.

I have a cracked brass bolt that I keep in my shop to show people who are skeptical about paying for the stainless one.

You are right to be concerned. Make sure your shop actually uses a torque wrench. Awkward question, but you'd be surprised at the number of shops that don't.

I think something got lost in translation here or perhaps a typo. The OP and @JMBL (I think) both have MK10s. VDH SS swivel retainers are for the MK5. Not to worry, the MK10/15/20/25 have interchangeable swivel retainers p/n 10-500-103 (replaced by -104) and retainer washer p/n 01-060-500. Also, I think the OP said his second stage is an AIR 1 not an AIR 2

BTW @shurite7 I have not seen any bulletins from SP mentioning the AIR 1 needs to be removed from service. Could you (or anyone) shed light on that?

Last edited:
I think something got lost in translation here or perhaps a typo. The OP and @JMBL (I think) both have MK10s. VDH SS swivel retainers are for the MK5.

You do have an eye for detail.
Thank you, @couv.

Also, I think the OP said his second stage is an AIR 1 not an AIR 2

BTW @shurite7 I have not seen any bulletins from SP mentioning the AIR 1 needs to be removed from service. Could you (or anyone) shed light on that?

During the last two reg service technician sessions with SP we were informed not to service the Air1 second stage. The reason for this is the plate may break away from the case assembly.

I too understood the OP as having the Air1 second stage, not an Air2 alternate second stage that connects to the BCD.

Thank you to everyone for responding. I definitely have a SP mk10 1st gen. Who would you recommended I send it to for servicing? I don’t want to use my local dive shop. It was working fine when it was put up 25 yrs ago. There is a little patina noticeable in a few places but looks great other than that. Thanks again to anyone who reads and responds. I also have an AL Titan lx 1st and 2nd that needs servicing.

During the last two reg service technician sessions with SP we were informed not to service the Air1 second stage. The reason for this is the plate may break away from the case assembly.

What does that mean? Does it mean a safety recall? If someone comes in with an AIR1 under warranty are you supposed to replace it with a current 2nd stage? If not, are you supposed simply say "your SP reg is not safe to service, have a nice day..."

If there's no recall, I suspect the whole thing is BS.

BTW, there's no part on the AIR1 called "plate" so i'm not sure what you are referring to. There is a part called the "switch back plate" I can't imagine how that would 'break away' from the case (it's on the inside) but if that dive/pre dive switch assembly is suspect, then it also means that the assembly on the pilot and all D series regs would be suspect. Do you think that's the situation?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom