What model is this regulator??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What does that mean? Does it mean a safety recall? If someone comes in with an AIR1 under warranty are you supposed to replace it with a current 2nd stage? If not, are you supposed simply say "your SP reg is not safe to service, have a nice day..."

If there's no recall, I suspect the whole thing is BS.

BTW, there's no part on the AIR1 called "plate" so i'm not sure what you are referring to. There is a part called the "switch back plate" I can't imagine how that would 'break away' from the case (it's on the inside) but if that dive/pre dive switch assembly is suspect, then it also means that the assembly on the pilot and all D series regs would be suspect. Do you think that's the situation?

The plate is part of the case assembly as mentioned before, not the switch. It isn't a part per se, it is the flat part of the case that the guard fits into. As I stated earlier, at the SP clinic it was stated not to service the reg. Part of the reason for this is newer technicians are not taught how to service it. There are some technicians who learned to service it, but there are not many out there who can. SP also stated the plate may break free due to age. This does not mean recall. The Air1 is old, it was made between 1974-1986. Things simply wear out over time. I have yet to read any statement from a manufacturer that states all regulators made will last forever. You can take this information however you want to. That is up to you. There are some regs that are old and hold up quite well. The first stage in the OP is a good example. The Air1 isn't a good example; in this case there are better options.

This does not apply to the D-series second stages.

the reason for this is newer technicians are not taught how to service it.

OK, now I get it. Rather than teach the technicians how to service it, SP recommends, "if you use this regulator, you'll die; therefore, the lifetime warranty has expired."

@shurite7 Seriously, what does SP recommend you tell a customer who is the original owner of an AIR 1 when he brings it in for service?

Who would you recommended I send it to for servicing?

@rsingler or Bryan at www.vintagedoublehose.com

The plate is part of the case assembly as mentioned before, not the switch. It isn't a part per se, it is the flat part of the case that the guard fits into.

You're talking about this part of the case, where the diaphragm assembly goes. The case is one piece of molded plastic. It is true that the plastic in this area is thinner than the rest of the case, but it's quite a stretch to think that it would break away in use. (It appears no thinner than lots of plastic parts on other 2nd stages) I could see an over-zealous technician cracking it. Maybe that's why SP doesn't want their dealers touching it; they don't want to be on the hook for a new 2nd stage.
IMG_1003.jpg

I'm still unclear about what happens if an original owner brings one in. Is SP going to replace it?

I'm still unclear about what happens if an original owner brings one in. Is SP going to replace it?

Perhaps an original owner can take one into a SP store and let everyone know.

Under your name the words, "DIVE SHOP" indicating you own or work for a dive shop. What would YOU do if an original owner brings in an AIR 1? If you're not the owner/manager/janitor, what would the owner do?

Under your name the words, "DIVE SHOP" indicating you own or work for a dive shop. What would YOU do if an original owner brings in an AIR 1? If you're not the owner/manager/janitor, what would the owner do?

That issue will be addressed if it ever happens. I have an Air1, but I'm not the original owner.

Are you not a SP dealer? In an earlier post you said that in a SP service seminar "We were informed not to service the AIR1." I guess this led me assume that you are a dealer.

Are you not a SP dealer? In an earlier post you said that in a SP service seminar "We were informed not to service the AIR1." I guess this led me assume that you are a dealer.

Yes, I am a SP dealer. So far no customer has come in with an Air1 which means I haven't dealt with anyone, let alone, an original owner of that particular second stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom