What model is my K valve? Norris lp 72 1976 tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Vegas

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I'm trying to find the model/number of my K valve on Norris lp 72 steel tank from 1976. I can see that it's a Sherwood by the double ~ logo.

Hi Peter,
Have att page from "Sherwood " Manual" your valve similar to the one pictured top row third from the left they state two serial numbers at least it gives a push in the right direction.
john68
Capture.PNG

Perfect . Thank you. Found a manual for it based on your info.

It was made by Sherwood Selpac, but it was probably sold by Healtways. In the 1970's Sherwood did not sell Scuba gear directly to the public.
What is the original date on the cylinder? I am guessing a Norris cylinder with that valve is from the 70's.

BTW, that hubcap at the end of the knob serves no purpose other than to collect salt water. It is purely cosmetic, but it will allow corrosion to go unchecked. I would recommend to get rid of the cap so that you can properly rinse the valve stem after a dive.

Luis, yes, the valve is from a Norris steel cylinder (lp 72) born in 1976 .
I took the end cap off like you recommended. Thank you.
There were a few grains of sand inside that I rinsed out. Tank had been used in fresh water so luckily no signs of corrosion. I really like this valve for it's low profile and would like to keep it. I'm hoping that I can find a service kit for it.

You can download the Sherwood valve manual from VintageDoubleHose.com

Finding a service kit for Sherwood should be very easy.

I think that you will find that all Sherwood valves can be covered by one of two service kits. They have what they call a type A valve and a Type B. Your valve would be a type A. Which is probably the most common type of valves they make. As far as I know, the newest valves they still make have the same internal parts.

BTW, personally I am not a fan tearing down a valve that is working fine. I replace the burst disc on a somewhat schedule interval (about 5 years or a bit longer). But I only rebuild a valve if it is leaking or it is hard to turn or it feels odd when turning it. I am a strong believer on: if it ain't broke don't fix it.
YMMV

Back
Top Bottom