What mask with a good field of vision fogs up less?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hylian Loach

Registered
Reaction score
In Edmonds. Just north of Seattle. Home of Rick St
Ok, heres my situation. About two years ago I bought a oceanic shadow and really liked it. It was my first real dive mask since I wnt to Florida as a kid and bought a fourty dollar pair. I soon realized, however, that despite my repeated enthusiastic scrubing of the interior with toothpase and a wash cloth it was not getting any less foggy. Recently I was told by someone at a dive shop that some of the early shadows that were manufactured had that problem and that they just never seem to stop fogging up.

Now I am looking for a new mask with the general shape of the Mares X Vision or the Aqualung Favola as these two seemed to give me the best feild of view. I actually bought a Favola But I am going to return it because it doesn't fog as bad as the Shadow but its still bad. In addition it seems to have a rather rickty design for a 90$ mask and stuff gets caught in between the glass and frame to easly.

Whether or not they are known to fog up is THE big issue for me. If you have a mask of similar design (I will count the atomics as similar) and you have gotten them to be less foggy I would really like to know. I would like to know of a good glass cleaner too. Or what you have used that you think has worked.

Thanks in advance.

Just a quick question did you ever try any defogs in your mask?

A drop of Joy dish soap, undiluted, on each side. Rub it around, rinse only until any bubbles disappear. Good to go.

Got introduced to diluted baby shampoo by operator in USVI. It works great. Another suggestion: Never put your mask on your head (hair) when you are waiting to go into the water. I was told that it is dirt and oil type stuff that causes the worst fogging (like the oil etc in your hair.) Good luck.

The best way to keep a mask from fooging is to clean the heck out of it with the abrasive mask cleaner available in most dive shops.
Put a small glob in each lens and rub each lens hard for at least a minute.
If you do this you will not even need spit or any other type of de-fog.

The reason? I spoke with a major manufacturer who told me that silicone masks are constanly giving off fumes. These "fumes" basically attach to the lens of the mask and this coating needs to be cleaned periodically.
Now Im not sure if its true but I do know that I have been doing this for years and it works.

I dive at least once a week(usually more) and I clean my mask with the cleaner about once a month.

Capt.Rich:
The best way to keep a mask from fooging is to clean the heck out of it with the abrasive mask cleaner available in most dive shops.
Put a small glob in each lens and rub each lens hard for at least a minute.
If you do this you will not even need spit or any other type of de-fog.

The reason? I spoke with a major manufacturer who told me that silicone masks are constanly giving off fumes. These "fumes" basically attach to the lens of the mask and this coating needs to be cleaned periodically.
Now Im not sure if its true but I do know that I have been doing this for years and it works.

I dive at least once a week(usually more) and I clean my mask with the cleaner about once a month.

I have heard this to. However I don't which ones the best. I have heard of ones that had a value of 500 PI (at least I think it was PI) but I didn't catch the name, or what PI means.

What kind do you use?

Hylian Loach:
I have heard this to. However I don't which ones the best. I have heard of ones that had a value of 500 PI (at least I think it was PI) but I didn't catch the name, or what PI means.

What kind do you use?
It's PSI instead of PI.

I used to own a Mares X-Vision. She got the usual after-sale treatment (toothpaste rubbing) plus a good thorough clean with Vodka (no kidding).
Never fogged.

Here is what I do and be sure to test it as I describe before trying to dive with it.

I have also read a number of times about running a cigarette lighter flame across the inside of the mask to clean the glass, Silicone is pretty heat tolerant stuff so it's not as crazy as it sounds.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom