What makes dive computers expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I started looking into dive computers, I was somewhat surprised by how expensive they are -- especially compared to on-land handheld devices.

I can guess what adds to the cost, like maybe the waterproofing itself, demand and supply gap, expensive sensors/parts, etc. but does anyone know any of the reasons as a fact?
I've looked around the Internet, but couldn't find much detail...

Any help wold be appreciated!

This is a reasonable question. As someone who has developed and designed a dive computer in current production, Cobalt Guide: Home, and who is familiar with the economics of manufacturing and delivering them, (and who's diving experience goes back to long before the first dive computers) I can give you an informed answer.

It's not because manufacturers or retailers are making huge profits. The market is pretty good at driving down costs if it is possible to do so. I know personally that we tried to keep the Cobalt's cost as low cost as we possibly could, and if there were any way to bring the cost down without compromising design or quality, we would do it in a heartbeat. I spend a good bit of my time trying to work on ways to make things more economical. We would love to be more competitive. Nobody doing this is getting rich-far from it. It's a very risky business.

It's not because of liability insurance- that is a cost factor, but relatively speaking a minor one, a few percent, and it applies to all dive gear (and other sports equipment).

The need for a waterproof enclosure that will stand up to abuse pushes up cost compared to consumer electronics, but again, it's not the big factor.

What does make dive computers relatively more expensive can be summed up in one word: volume.

Most divers have no sense of how tiny the diving market is. If one dive computer were able to capture 100% of the market, it would still be an infinitesimally tiny blip- utterly invisible- in the consumer electronics world. Anything you see in a mass market retailer is being sold at volumes that dwarf the biggest selling products in diving. The unit cost to manufacture consumer electronics is therefore much, much less. Consumer electronics manufacturers and retailers can operate off far thinner profit margins than diving (ask your LDS if they could keep the doors open on a 5-15% markup) because they can have volumes in the hundreds of thousands or millions.

To illustrate how this alters the landscape consider our need to purchase color displays for our state of the art dive computer. The premier supplier of AMOLED displays, used in some cell phones and other devices as well as the Cobalt, and almost the ONLY supplier in current production, does not use distributors and will not consider selling to you unless you can guarantee purchases of 200,000 per month- we tried. Apple sold something like 30 million iPhones in just the first quarter of 2012. That's about the range where consumer electronics become inexpensive. Based on pretty decent industry knowledge, the total number of dive computers sold annually worldwide by all manufacturers is considerably less than several hundred thousand. The fact is that most newly certified divers drop the sport after a few years at best, or dive only occasionally. No one knows how many actual "new diver" certifications (as opposed to specialty, included in PADI statistics) are given out every year, but the 200,000 range is a a not unreasonable estimate. A minority of those buy equipment. A smaller minority buy computers, and those mostly at the low price end. Most gear sales (all kinds) are to new divers. As to how many divers there are in the world, nobody knows. Undercurrent surveyed the available information a few years back, and you can look at it here: How Many Divers Are There? : Undercurrent 05/2007

Manufacturers of dive computers pay higher prices for components. They pay more for assembly. They don't have the ongoing service plans that subsidize cellphone purchases. They must amortize significant development costs and tooling costs over a very small number of sales. If it were possible for a company to make dive computers for less it would be happening- it's a competitive world. Some low end pucks with segment based displays probably carry good margins to the manufacturer after years of production and amortizing costs. But developing new computer designs, using new sensor technologies, new microprocessors, and new displays/ user interfaces is expensive and difficult, there is no guarantee of success.

Speaking as someone who has worked on both consumer product and dive computer product design, dive computers are more demanding and complex to develop- by a big margin. They are not anything like wristwatches (or GPS units, or phones, or game players…) in terms of what they need to do. The firmware must handle complex tasks in real time and give correct information to a diver who may do unexpected things. They have to do it underwater. There are multiple sensor inputs that must be prioritized and managed. Implementing a decompression algorithm as part of a real-time system is far more difficult than implementing it in a desktop software package. It would be very easy to underestimate the complexity of developing a dive computer, even for experienced embedded systems designers. Support is also a major issue. Complex products built for small markets just end up either being expensive or not existing at all.

Ron

---------- Post added April 13th, 2013 at 01:20 PM ----------

Agree to some extent, except that the R&D for the basic models at least is probably not that vigorous at this point -- adding more alarms and backlighting (literally, bells and whistles) but the technology is not visibly advancing (I might argue not even at the high end). <snip>

As to the technology not changing- perhaps there is some stasis at the low end, though I think even there products are getting more capable. But, using just the Cobalt as an example, we have a highly visible color display, rechargeable batteries that last a long time, an easy to understand, menu driven interface, a built in digital 360° compass with multiple bearing memory, a dive log that will store and graphically display about 600 hours of detailed diving information, multi-gas and gas switching capability, no-stop times displayed as a list with a calculator planning function, an onboard dive planner that, using your current tissue state, has graphic planning capability comparable to desktop planners, including gas requirements planing, and up-dateable firmware. Not everyone needs or wants those kinds of features, but most would not have been available anywhere a few years back. And we are working hard on improvements, including the most important one, in my view, ease of use.

Ron

I agree volume is the issue. I was involved in the design and manufacture of a custom on board vehicle computer several decades ago. Amortizing a $50,000 injection moulding set up fee over a small run of 1,000 units really pushes the per unit cost up. Then add in the cost of manual hand assembly.

I am actually surprised at your number of several hundred thousand computers sold per year. I thought it would be much lower than that, but have not spent any time really thinking about the numbers behind it.

Do you have any feedback on the proportion of "older tech, low end" computers versus some of the newer high end models?

I am still using my Uwatec Aladin made in 1995. So I am not helping much either.

I agree volume is the issue. I was involved in the design and manufacture of a custom on board vehicle computer several decades ago. Amortizing a $50,000 injection moulding set up fee over a small run of 1,000 units really pushes the per unit cost up. Then add in the cost of manual hand assembly.
And now that tooling is probably a lot more expensive.

I am actually surprised at your number of several hundred thousand computers sold per year. I thought it would be much lower than that, but have not spent any time really thinking about the numbers behind it.
I don't know what the numbers really are, but I know they are tiny compared to consumer products. I have heard that global dive computer sales of all types (including wristwatches) is a little over 200,000, which seems plausible to me. When we started developing the Cobalt I tried to gauge market size in various categories using publicly available information, but that was a number of years ago. There is no getting around the fact that this is a very small volume business.

Do you have any feedback on the proportion of "older tech, low end" computers versus some of the newer high end models?

I am still using my Uwatec Aladin made in 1995. So I am not helping much either.

Unless things have changed a lot, the large majority of the sales are low end, fairly basic computers. And Uwatec made some things that held up very well. :wink:

Ron

What does make dive computers relatively more expensive can be summed up in one word: volume.

Most divers have no sense of how tiny the diving market is.

Here is something that will give you something to think about concerning the size of the scuba market.

The next time you are in a large airport waiting for your flight, go into one of the shops selling magazines. You will see an entire wall filled with magazines that people might want to purchase to read on a flight. You will see all the big names, but most of them will be special interest magazines devoted to activities that only appeal to a small segment of the market place. You will see magazines devoted to interests you didn't know existed.

Maybe your luck will be better than mine, but I have never seen a scuba magazine on sale at one of those shops. When you realize that our demographic is smaller than some of the really bizarre topics you see there, you will get an idea.

I think the primary factor in pricing would be volume of sale. Low volume of sale (compared to say, smart phones) means higher unit cost.

Also bear in mind the R&D costs to formulate, research, test and approve an appropriate algorithm. There is a high liability factor - not at all like releasing some gizmo app for a computer or phone...

My Uwatec Aladin Pro cost about AUS$700 in 1991 (say US$500). I still have one and it works great but it is nothing like my more recent new purchases.

In 1994 I purchased an Uwatec Air-X for about AUS$1400 (US$1000). Brilliant design let down by being released before it was properly tested.

Last year I purchased a Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC 2N for AUS$850 (US$890 - our dollar is now much stronger). This is so much better a computer than the other two. Inflation since 1991 would mean that the Uwatec's cost was about AUS$1200 in today's dollars. I have so many more features, multiple gases, downloading, rechargeable battery, variable settings and more.

Yes, we have it a lot better now!

I strongly disagree about the lack of innovation. Much innovation is appearing nowadays. Just look at Oled-lcd screens, bluetooth, tap tap interfaces, optic fiber or ultrasound connectors, underwater comm or location info... None of these were around commercially only 5 years ago! Some of these will not endure and disappear, others will stay for good!
Most of these novelties do not come from the main manufacturers. Smaller ones seem to be leaders in that domain. And this brings us back to the economics. Recently had a Russian diver diving with me. He was equipped with a smaller replica of a Predator computer. Oled screen, bluetooth, fischer cable: all seemed there. The software seemed less good than Shearwater but worked fine. The guy told me he bought that for 600 usd. Pretty cheap for what must be a tiny batch! Liability, support and testing must not cost them much, but it still sounds cheap to me...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom