What makes dive computers expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd agree that dive lights have vastly improved in terms of features and price in the last 10 years. Dive computers.... I just don't see it.

I am sure liability is a major issue. Imagine what your cell phone would cost if sold as a designed life support/monitoring item.

So is the question:

Would you drive without a spare tire.
Would you leave home without a phone.
Would you let your kids go to school without driving them.

Would you dive without a computer????

The computers value is directly preoportional to the divers reliance on it.

Plummeted since the 80's I suppose, but certainly not plummeted in the last 10-12 years. MSRP on the Suunto Mosquito was $400 back in 2000 and it's about the same for the Gekko today. It certainly doesn't have any additional features and is bigger.

Bigger is sometimes better- I prefer my Gecko to the size of the Stinger which I had...before it got nicked.

Amazon sells the Zoop for $250

As I started looking into dive computers, I was somewhat surprised by how expensive they are -- especially compared to on-land handheld devices.

I can guess what adds to the cost, like maybe the waterproofing itself, demand and supply gap, expensive sensors/parts, etc. but does anyone know any of the reasons as a fact?
I've looked around the Internet, but couldn't find much detail...

Any help wold be appreciated!

It's a low-volume chunk of electronics that has to work perfectly, underwater. Electronic devices are expensive to produce in small quantities.

flots.

well, IMHO, there have been some nice advancements over recent years for dive computers. First, you can get a nice one, brand new for around $300 or even less (my first ORCA Edge was about $900). Multiple gas switches and gas programming on the fly, firmware upgrades, bluetooth technology and CCR capabilities. Not to mention pairing multiple transmitters and color screens. Simply, they just do not sell enough of these things to pay for the R&D, programming, etc.

New divers now have it good, back 10years ago. A simple dive com cost 700 to 900 dollars.

New divers now have it good, back 10years ago. A simple dive com cost 700 to 900 dollars.

That's simply not true. If you use the Wayback Machine (Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine) you can see ScubaToys.com's website as of April 2003. The TUSA IQ 400 was $158.95. The Genesis Resource was $199.95. If you wanted Nitrox the Aeris Pro Nitrox was $249.95.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030603183547/http://www.scubatoys.com/store/gauges/gauges.asp

For fun, if you go back to April 1999 (http://web.archive.org/web/19990922003134/http://www.scubatoys.com/gauges/gauges.htm) the TUSA IQ 400 was $179.95.

Looking at the Genesis Resource "Pro" on LeisurePro today it's $189.95. Pretty much the same price.

Last edited:
Since 2003 I have purchased 12 dive computers for various opperations...most between $600 and $1200...most failed for various reasons over the years...I am a sailor and always strongly advise other sailors never to buy technology for technologies sake, unless you just want to "play"..and certainly there is nothing wrong with that and I do love toys!!.but now diving..I simply use the ZOOP...they do me well , I feel safe and they keep on keeping on!..they are not expensive...

Underwater waterproofing has high standards, especially when you add depth into the equation. Aside from regulations and quality assurance standards they have to incorporate a lot of extra features and stay on top of current markets. The most important feature as well is they're designed as a life-support assist. You use gauges and computers while diving so that you know you're diving your plan and in the green, and when you're in the red. With such an important tool that is near impossible for the average joe to engineer on his own, that jacks up pricing.

That's simply not true. If you use the Wayback Machine (Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine) you can see ScubaToys.com's website as of April 2003. The TUSA IQ 400 was $158.95. The Genesis Resource was $199.95. If you wanted Nitrox the Aeris Pro Nitrox was $249.95.

Dive Computers, consoles nitrox computers air scuba diving computers

For fun, if you go back to April 1999 (Gauges, Computers, Consoles) the TUSA IQ 400 was $179.95.

Looking at the Genesis Resource "Pro" on LeisurePro today it's $189.95. Pretty much the same price.

wow... certainly interesting.... wished that back then... buying stuff online was easier and safer...

but still comparing the amazing 9 log dives it can do back then... :)

i do have a swatch 'dive watch' that can log a dive, but shows only your depth and time taken. :) it can log 1 info at a time or rather it reply your last dive...cost maybe 30-50 USD. back when dive tables were still well used...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom