What makes dive computers expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

localhost

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
As I started looking into dive computers, I was somewhat surprised by how expensive they are -- especially compared to on-land handheld devices.

I can guess what adds to the cost, like maybe the waterproofing itself, demand and supply gap, expensive sensors/parts, etc. but does anyone know any of the reasons as a fact?
I've looked around the Internet, but couldn't find much detail...

Any help wold be appreciated!

my guess is the single biggest factor is the lack of people buying them.

When Apple came out with the iPhone, they invested millions in its development, but then went on to sell 50 million units and spread the research and development costs over those sales, and made a big profit.

Dive computer manufactures are building for a very limited market and have to spread the research and development costs over far less units.

Agree to some extent, except that the R&D for the basic models at least is probably not that vigorous at this point -- adding more alarms and backlighting (literally, bells and whistles) but the technology is not visibly advancing (I might argue not even at the high end). I think it is in large part based on what the market will bear. It's an easy sell, really. Scuba is expensive and probably in terms of value, the computer is the most cost effective thing you will own. If you dive with a dive op, you are paying maybe $1 per minute under water or more, plus the cost of getting there and being there, plus the amortized cost of the rest of your gear, etc. Increased bottom time can pay for a $200 computer pretty quickly if you dive much. At least that's how I rationalize it! I also believe that, despite the apparent number of brands out there, there are actually a much smaller number of manufacturers and that may be another reason -- there is less competition than there seems to be.

Because scuba divers are willing to pay those high prices. Want to pay less? Buy used and avoid the bells and whistles.

The consumer makes them expensive.

It is what it is, I can't fix that. However, I recently saw someone here selling a barely used (10 fresh water dives) Hollis DG03 with DSS bungee mount for $200. That would set you back $270 new. I'm tempted in getting a second one for my backup computer. Perhaps you should beat me to it...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...nalyzers/451322-hollis-dg03-bungee-mount.html

Also someone was just selling a Zoop puck (put it in your console) for $125. Think that one is gone though.

TC:
Product liability insurance for anything dive related is probably a pretty big contributor to the high price too.

That's true! I haven't thought about that perspective. I suppose making underwater equipment in general adds similar overhead.

---------- Post added April 10th, 2013 at 04:23 PM ----------

US $250 isn't a lot for a diving computer IMO- people drop a whole bunch more on a cellphone and if you spill coffee on them, they're poked. What part is expensive in your opinion?

I was thinking about upper models that are thousands of dollars, but I do agree $250 is a reasonable investment for an important piece of equipment, especially if you plan to use it for a long time.

That also reminds me, dive computers are not something you replace all the time -- perhaps that lowers motivation to pursue cheaper alternatives.

Historically speaking, they've gone down massively in price. My instructor showed me his first computer (an Orca) the other day. It was one of the front runners of the time. It only stored about 3 dives (today's computers can stor 25- 50 dives) & worked off a very basic Buhlman algorithm (there are now many algorithms, some even allow you to set how conservative or liberal they are), no real bells & whistles other than a hose integrated air pressure reading. That computer cost him nearly $1800 back in the late '80's, I believe he said.

The scuba market is rather limited, so there is not the mass demand for the products, as there may be with other ordinary products. Less demand= less production= higher costs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom