What kind of Moray is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damn I gotta get out at night more, but soloing I like the light myself :)

Based on the photo and size description, I would be comfortable labeling it as a Barred Moray (Echidna polyzona). This moray is not included in Hoover's or Randall's book, but is included in Witte & Mahaney's Hawaiin Reef Fish book. I'm suggesting this based on the following observations:

1. While the photo's colors are a bit muted, it looks like the color of the top of the head match the base color of the rest of the body. The Yellowhead (aka Banded) moray has distinct yellow coloration on the top of the head, with the rest of the body being pale in color. So I don't think it's a Yellowhead.

2. The Barred (aka Ringed) moray has a consistent color throughout the body.

3. The Barred moray features a first band that crosses the eye. It's faint in this photo, but evidence of it exists on the top of the head, as well as the lower jaw.

4. Juveniles of the Barred moray begin with very solid coloration, and the coloration fades and becomes blotchy when full grown. This species is a smaller moray averaging 20 inches. Considering refraction, it would appear 30 inches when full grown.

5. John Hoover's web site (a supplement to his book) agrees with this.
http://www.hawaiisfishes.com/fishes/neatfish/echidna_polyzona.htm

Looks like we have barred moray here on Maui too. This was before the black & tan's (17th), end of dive ~ 7fsw.

Can anyone instruct me how to imbed photo's with a powerbook (10.4)?

Back
Top Bottom