what kind of dive sites do you visit on Blackbeards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking at Blackbeards in September (yah yah, I know hurricane season), but wondering what type of dive sites you go to? All reef? macro critters, large life, wrecks, etc?a good mix,etc?

Also, probably would fly down the night before from RDU - any good cheap place to stay -don't need fancy for a night, just maybe someplace safe, clean, and maybe walk to a place to get some grub, etc

Usually a good mix, depends on the weather. Wall dives on the windward side, a wreck here and there (small plane at Cut & Run next to a gorgeous wall), shark dive outside the park, etc.

I recommend staying at the Nassau Harbour Club. It's at the marina where Blackbeard's leaves from. Clean, cheap. http://www.blackbeard-cruises.com/nassau-hotels.php

I'm heading there towards the end of the month and am staying at the Towne Hotel. Have never been so I can't offer any informed advice.

Our dive club stays at the Towne hotel every year when we do Blackbeards. They have a restaurant and bar off the lobby and a patio on the roof. Their rate is per room not per person. It is a nice place to stay for a night.

www.townehotel.com drbill here is their website

Blackbeard's heads over to the northern Exumas. I've done this trip (not with Blackbeard's) 8 times over 30 years and it has been great every time. Reefs are deteriorating from what we saw in the late 70's-early 80's, but there is still enough good stuff to keep going back. Reefs range from shallow finger reefs to some nice drop-offs to some spectacular wall diving (i.e. Dog Rocks). Shallow dives (inside the islands) are tide-dependent and usually limit dive time. There are some great drift dives as well. Much of the diving is inside a park, so no taking. Gets tough when night diving with the number of huge lobsters and crabs present - of course due to "no take."

Photos: Sea Dragon - Oct 2012 - WetLens' Photos ,
Sea Dragon Oct 2011 - WetLens' Photos

Not sure how far south Blackbeard's will travel on their itinerary, but here is the range we typically go:
Dive sites will range from 24º52'36"N; 76º47'41W (Dog Rocks/Ocean Cay Wall) to 24º18'0"N; 76º32'40" (Sanctuary Reef). Punch the numbers in to Google Earth and you'll see the approximate range.

If you'd like to locate Nassau Harbor Club on Google Earth, punch in: 25º4'30.4N, 77º18'45.6W.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom