If I can only do a couple of dives in Taiwan what would you recommend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michaelszippy

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be in Taiwan for tourism and family visit (my wife is Taiwanese) for most of March. It's not a dive trip, but I'm a pretty avid diver so I'd like to get a least a couple of dives in while I'm there. I'll be renting gear. We will likely have a car and have the flexibility to tour the island.

Thoughts and recommendations for sites and operators? I'm not a cattle boat diver; I'd prefer a small group (ideally with experienced divers) and a dive master/guide who knows the formations, flora, and fauna well.

Also, what are the water temps in March? And I saw a video that showed a whale shark encounter, but the internet doesn't seem to think Taiwan is place to see them. Is there a whale shark season?

PM me if you'd like.

Mike

I am pretty sure @Oceanxiang can give his/her expert opinion on the topic.

You wife will be a great asset to travel with in ROC.
This is my very limited experience on the question that you had raised.
I have dived Green Island at end of Mar which was not bad but the weather was not that favourable so limited to certain area. You need to take the ferry or commercial flight to the island. Do come well prepare for rough sea crossing. Shore or boat dive are available.
Kenting and Xiao Liu Qiu(off shore small island not far from Kaohsiung) are other places that I have been.
Weather should be your main concern in Mar.
The local produced booties with thick sole is a must for walking on volcanic rock(shore dive).
Enjoy your holiday in Republic of CHINA.

Hi~I think you can search “台灣潛水” at youtube to find your favorite dive site.

In addition to Xiaoliuqiu, Green Island and Kenting mentioned by Centrals, Orchid Island is also a very famous dive site.However, the current is relatively strong, and diving experience is required

I saw a video that showed a whale shark encounter, but the internet doesn't seem to think Taiwan is place to see them. Is there a whale shark season?
In 2020, whale sharks were found in the Kenting area. Due to past hunting, the chances of seeing whale sharks in Taiwan are not too high. Taiwanese divers usually go to the Philippines to watch whale sharks, but you can go to Kenting to try your luck.

In addition to Xiaoliuqiu, Green Island and Kenting mentioned by Centrals, Orchid Island is also a very famous dive site.However, the current is relatively strong, and diving experience is required

In 2020, whale sharks were found in the Kenting area. Due to past hunting, the chances of seeing whale sharks in Taiwan are not too high. Taiwanese divers usually go to the Philippines to watch whale sharks, but you can go to Kenting to try your luck.
Good videos especially the first one, thank you.

I'm going to Taiwan in early/2024. My wife is a non-diver, maybe can do some snorkeling. I've dove in 2008 in Kenting, and Green Island. There were not too many dive ops around at that time. Sounds like things have developed better.

In 2020, whale sharks were found in the Kenting area. Due to past hunting, the chances of seeing whale sharks in Taiwan are not too high. Taiwanese divers usually go to the Philippines to watch whale sharks, but you can go to Kenting to try your luck.​
Do you know the minimum dives expected before tackling Orchid Island?

The most welknown attraction in Orchid Island(Lanyu Island) is the "Flying fish" festival. Need to book well in advance for accommodation at least during that period.

I did arrange a diving trip with one of the operator(Tung Lung Diving Inn) but the "Wuhan Virus" put an abrupt stop on it. They have diving courses from OW onwards so they probably should know how to take care of timid divers. However, I cannot guarantee on that.

Do you know the minimum dives expected before tackling Orchid Island?
Sorry, minimum log requirement you should ask local dive shop, I think you'd better have current dive experience and know how to handle up/down current and keep focus on your dive guide.

Good videos especially the first one, thank you.

I'm going to Taiwan in early/2024. My wife is a non-diver, maybe can do some snorkeling. I've dove in 2008 in Kenting, and Green Island. There were not too many dive ops around at that time. Sounds like things have developed better.
Welcome to Taiwan again! If you are going to Taiwan during the beginning of the year, Xiao Liuqiu is pretty much the best choice for easy diving and snorkeling.

I did some vlog a year before, it's in Chinese but you can check the dive sites, I include pretty much all the popular shore dive sites.
EP1
EP2
EP3

PM me if you need any help! ( if you're not already there) :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom