What kind of compass is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeremy Bouwman

Contributor
Reaction score
Lynden Washington, 1/2 hour north of Bellingham
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been looking into a compass because I know that I badly need one. What do you prefer? Wrist-mounted, slate-mounted, console mounted, on a retractor? Is one better than the others? And is there a certain brand that is better than others? Thanks for your input.

Suunto SK-7. I have mine on a wrist mount with bungee cord. Not a cheap compass, and it resides in a pocket unless I know I am going to be using it right away...then on the wrist.

Probably personal preference but I don't like console mounted compasses.

The best method of mounting a compass is the one that you can use most accurately. Try to experience a variety to see. That said, I also use the SK-7 on the wrist with a bungee mount. I think Suunto makes quality compasses. I like it on the wrist because it seems more natural to just extend my arm when I want to see which direction I'm heading and I like to keep my hands free.

I used to have one on a console and didn't really mind that either, though. One advantage of that is you can easily see your depth and pressure at the same time as your heading. And it's always there - you don't have to remember to put it on. But it occupies at least one hand to hold the console.

Sunnto started as a company that made only compasses.

If you want quality, get a SK-7. I own two. One is on the back of my pressure gauge (a nice compact package), the other is on my scooter. The biggest advantage is their tolerance for tilt.

The Pellagic compasses are okay, but not in the same league.

All the best, James

My Pellagic (Genesis) gets me back to the beach. The Oceaninc version has the most self evident graphics for quick card recognition in low light/poor visibility.

The SK-7 does consitently get high marks but I have not seen it quantified.

Pete

Ditto Reefhound's comment. You've got to be able to read it and be able to use it.

I've got several compasses and the one that usually goes with me is an Oceanic wrist unit that I keep clipped to my BC. I keep the wrist strap closed large enough that I can use it as a hand hold (like a pistol grip) out in front of me. I put a basic clip on it to secure it to my BC D ring.

I found that a wrist worn compass doesn't work well in a drysuit environment. The figure 4 arm position that's shown in books just doesn't work. You can't really read the heading and see where you're going. I hand hold the compass when I need to take a reading then just clip it back to my BC.

The Suunto SK-7 with retractor works well. Very nice for a quick heading fix then let it retract, but if I'm doing a lot of nav work I just unclip it and hand hold it. I inherited one from my wife and its very nice. I also have several Suunto compasses for backpacking and mountaineering.

I really don't like console mounted compasses at all. Better than nothing, but only a little bit in my opinion. That said, my wife got a new Suunto integrated console computer with compass on the end so I inherited her Suunto retractor compass.

Good luck

I hate console mounted. I used one a few years and found two issues with that model:

1. I spent a lot of time flipping between my computer and the compass. Not really an issue, I just find it annoying I can't see both the compass and computer at the same time. Not really sure why manufacturer's don't put them on the same side!?!?!?? I guess it's just way too logical to think a diver might want to manage depth and navigation at the same time.
2. I'm tall and the standard HP hose on console just isn't long enough to really be comfortable in a position to navigate.

With the compass and computer on my wrist I eliminate both of the above issues. That said I'll jump on the Suunto SK-7 wagon. I bought one and promptly threw away the Suunto mount (it's crap). Spend $15 and get the Dea Sea Supply (DSS) mount. It's worth the $12.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=47

Back
Top Bottom