What kind of compass is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found that a wrist worn compass doesn't work well in a drysuit environment. The figure 4 arm position that's shown in books just doesn't work. You can't really read the heading and see where you're going.

You're right which is why I really like how the DSS bungee mount lets you mount it at a 30 degree angle on your wrist so you only hold your arm out in front of you at about 60 degrees bent instead of 90 degrees.

i picked up a cheap $10 hiking compass from a local sports store, and it has been more accurate than the $60-70 scuba diving compasses i've owned. If you go that route, just make sure it is liquid filled.

My wife and I both have SK7s w/ DSS wrist mounts. We are very pleased. I don't like console mounted compasses, or consoles at all for that matter.

The most accurate method is on a compass board, with a wrist mount more accurate than one on a console. OTOH, one on a console is accurate enough for most of my diving and on my console, I always have it.

When I bought my first compass, I was shocked to see how much they charge for a few pieces of plastic and magnetic steel, so I bought the cheapest compass I could find, a Cetacea. A year later, I take it out of my dive bag one day, only to realize that one of the magnetic bars had detached from the rotating disc and rendered the compass useless. Trashed it and bought a used SK-7 online, which I am using now, bungeed on my wrist. What have I learned from this?

1) All compasses are not created equal
2) The SK7 is amazingly accurate and needs no time to adjust, unlike all other compasses I've seen.
3) It is important to treat your compass like any other expensive and fragile gauge. I now keep mine wrapped in a cloth, stowed away in a sturdy box. No more tossing into a scuba bag.
4) Stay away from cheap compasses, especially Cetacea

Ditto the SK-7 in a DSS wrist mount. I don't have any problems using it "in a drysuit environment".

I find the ones that point north are best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom