What kind of car do you use in the winter in Ma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4 snow tires at least, and if it was me, studded ones .. the ONLY thing that will work on ice is studded tires, and if it's really slick, chains are the only solution

the other thing that will help immensely in snow is technique, skill, and practice

I know, all this coming from a SoCal driver.. :shrug:

I drive a 97 Subaru outback station wagon 5 spd AWD. The wife drives a 2003 Subaru outback sedan auto AWD. Neither have ever been stuck in snow or mud.
My car is the canoe,kayak,fishing,diving,dog,toting car that I drive to work 5 days a week 100 miles a day. The wifes car is the nice one we use to go out. I've been driving Subarus for 12 years now over a 100 miles per day + weekend trips / adventures. I've had the usual maintaince issues and the dreaded headgasket problem with my car, which was solved by a different motor, I replaced the 2.5 with a 2.2 a mostly bulletproof engine. The wifes outback has an H6 3.0L almost bulletproof.

Subaru all the way. I own 4 of them. There is a reason that Motor Trend picked Subarus as best SUV type vehicle for 2 years in a row!

I have a 2009 Silverado Z71. Really like it. Tows my 31' boat with few complaints.

While this is not necessarily a diving question - I do notice a lot of 4WD Subaru and similar when I am in Cape Ann. As I commute a bit on I-95 I am thinking of getting a new car with some decent mileage and decent traction during those slushy, icy Cape Ann/Gloucester days.

So, does anyone drive a hybrid Prius, or have I got-out-of-trouble stories revolving around a Subaru? I did take my VW out there during Feb. to go diving and while it's not the greatest, it did OK on the roads.

I have a Forester and mostly like it, but won't be buying another one. It's the "oatmeal" of SUVs. It's not interesting or exciting and isn't appropriate for special occasions, but it's generally pretty good and is consistent.

It's big enough to pack SCUBA gear for two and has no problems in muddy grass or small rocks, but once you reach it's limit, that's it. Three divers isn't an option, and you can't really tow anything bigger than a small flat trailer. It's OK in a little snow, but doesn't have the ground clearance for a lot. It has plenty of power to get you on a highway, as long as you're not towing anything and haven't loaded it up with people and gear.

At 100K miles, mine has had an insatiable appetite for parts (brakes, rotors, CV joints, exhaust parts including cat converter) as well as a never ending stream of sensors (O2, knock, etc.).

If you do mostly city and highway driving and minimal off road or bad weather driving and will get rid of it before 50K miles, it's a nice little car, although it is pricey @ $27K if you want the sunroof.

You could do worse, however I think you could also do better. I'm looking at Hyundai, Honda and Toyota for this winter and will probably check out prices in February, when the dealers around here would give you their mother if it would get a car off the lot.

Terry

Subaru Outback. Mine's taken a beating in both the winters of Colorado as well as New England. Not to mention the rocks, stumps and mud it's trekked through to go camping. I bought it for it's durability and it has lived up to its name.

Another Subaru Outback here.

It's not my primary dive mobile but it swallows up what I need to bring.

As a daily driver it does the trick here in Maine.

Pete

If you are looking for a car that has room and gas mileage. A Volkwagen Jetta TDI with the 5 speed manual is the way to go. It does quite well in the snow, and the one my friend had is getting over 60 mpg on his 200 mile round trip, he even gets through a whole week on one tank of fuel.

I have another dive friend that has the Prius and although he can fit his dive gear, he sadly doesnt get near what they claim the mileage is. It is better than his last car, but the money he saved on gas just went to a new battery pack(or whatever the car has). He has only had the thing for just over 2 years, and it needed the battery replaced.

Gas savings vs. battery cost? I will stick with my 2002 Chevy Silverado that is getting 20 mpg and hauls my dive gear and my 34' Camper onto the beach for a weekend of diving that makes for great surface intervals.

AUDI, the Tiguan and VW TDI have all come up in my discussions with the wife. The former are probably a little too prissy for the abuse I would eventually heap on the car while diving.

I drive an Audi A6 S-line sedan as my primary dive vehicle. Not ideal - I was not a diver when I bought the car - but it's the only car I have. That said, other than some scuffing on the inside lip of the trunk it holds up fine toting two sets of steel doubles, stage and deco bottles, a couple of milk crates of junk, etc, etc. And with twin-turbo German acceleration I'm always the first one to the dive site!

:)

I would have no problem recommending an Audi wagon or SUV as a dive vehicle.

I'm surprized nobody has mentioned a Toyota Tacoma P/U.
I have one with a shell and a rack. I can tow my 18 foot Oregon Dory dive boat, I can put a kayak up on the rack and also dry my wetsuit on the rack, I dive out of it, camp out of it, I sleep in it,I can load it to the gills, it's 4 wheel drive so I can go way up to the most remote parts of the lost coast if I want. It get's 23 on the freeway if I keep it under 65. A little less if I bump it up to 70 or more. I don't have to worry about throwing wet dive gear in the back. The ext cab is relatively small so it's easy to heat.
It's my favorite vehicle I've ever owned besides my 1970 Dodge Charger with a big block , but that's another time and a whole different thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom