What kind of bcd ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmanfunk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all. Well I am almost finish with my open water course ( very excited). First let me tell u about me. I am a big guy. With a 50 chest. I found a new very low cost bcd from seaquest pro qd old model. I got the large size. Like I said I am a big guy I bought a cumber extenders to be able to strap in. I went to the lds and they starped me into a zeagle staleto. It was a xxl the waist fit great but shoulders a little big so they informed me that I can get a smaller shoulder to fit me just right. I walked around the store for about 20 minutes while we spoke about what reg to buy and stuff and I felt very conftable. But it is back inflate. ( people scare u with the black inflat throwing ur face into the water when full.)

What do you guys think I should do? I already dove with the jacket bc.

I might as well be first: plate and wing, infinitely adjustable, one size fits all. The "thrown on your face" idea is total bs.

. ( people scare u with the black inflat throwing ur face into the water when full.) .

The "thrown on your face" idea is total bs.

I'm not trying to scare you, but if you put enough (as in, too much) gas in your back-inflate it will tend to push you face down, so that is not "total bs," though it is probably overstated. If you are properly weighted, don't over-fill it, and secure the crotch-strap, you will be able to rest comfortably on the surface. A vest-style bc is, however, more comfortable on the surface, in my opinion.

Now I never been diving in the ocean. How long are u waiting in the water to board the boat?

Usually it's a matter of 10 minutes or less, on a drift dive with a well-run dive operation. I have been left bobbing for an hour or so, however, and at the time I wished I had my stabilizing jacket. As with most things, there are trade-offs; I opt to dive with a backplate and wing because its advantages underwater outweigh its slight disadvantage on the surface, in my opinion. For tropical diving, however, the differences are slight and either one will work fine. In your case, the advantage of being able to get a custom fit probably outweighs all the other factors.

BP/W all the way. I am a n00b and it was perhaps the greatest switch (from jacket to bp/w) that I have ever made in my life. Everything became much easier and fun after. Regarding the throwing you face forward fears: you can feel it initially when you first try it (at least i did) but give yourself a minute and you will adjust. After that never noticed again, and have been loving diving it every day since.

they push your face in the water due to improper use and/or weighting, not design....

The mammal in you wants your head as far out of the water as possible - thus people tend to pump them up way to much and naturally the most buoyant piece of gear wants to be sitting on TOP of the water thus pushing your face forward.

they push your face in the water due to improper use and/or weighting, not design....

Well in my case it is certainly possible,. since it was my first dive in a dry suit in a long time. In other words, I was still working on getting my weighting right. HOWEVER, i will add that the push was so slight that it is more of a getting used to something that isnt a jacket instead of an inherent issue with the bp/w. I have been in the ocean in decent swells now and havent ever felt it since that first minute with it the first day I used it.

Point is: dont worry about it, because the improvement in your diving (skill and enjoyment wise) is so totally worth the switch.

Well in my case it is certainly possible,. since it was my first dive in a dry suit in a long time. In other words, I was still working on getting my weighting right. HOWEVER, i will add that the push was so slight that it is more of a getting used to something that isnt a jacket instead of an inherent issue with the bp/w. I have been in the ocean in decent swells now and havent ever felt it since that first minute with it the first day I used it.

Point is: dont worry about it, because the improvement in your diving (skill and enjoyment wise) is so totally worth the switch.

I wasn't addressing your post at all...in fact, I hadn't even read it until now. :D

Hello all. Well I am almost finish with my open water course ( very excited). First let me tell u about me. I am a big guy. With a 50 chest. I found a new very low cost bcd from seaquest pro qd old model. I got the large size. Like I said I am a big guy I bought a cumber extenders to be able to strap in. I went to the lds and they starped me into a zeagle staleto. It was a xxl the waist fit great but shoulders a little big so they informed me that I can get a smaller shoulder to fit me just right. I walked around the store for about 20 minutes while we spoke about what reg to buy and stuff and I felt very conftable. But it is back inflate. ( people scare u with the black inflat throwing ur face into the water when full.)

What do you guys think I should do? I already dove with the jacket bc.

I would suggest you to wait a bit before buying your gear.
I think that you should put some 10 dives under your belt to start shopping. With this you will have a better idea of what is and what is not for you.
If you live near to diving places and you can dive often, then you can assess what you need very quickly and do the right purchases.
Dive gear is far from being cheap and buying something that will not fit you or work in a way that is not what you like could be dissapointing.
Buying your own gear is something that brings pleasure and security, so, you must be sure of what you need.
Try to use rented what you think you will buy in the near future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom