What Kind and How Many 0 Rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So your saying using silicon on the spool can cause enough heat from using EAN32 to possibly cause a fire/combustion in my SPG? I’m just trying to wrap my head around all this and your explanations are sinking in.....don’t tell my wife this!

So your saying using silicon on the spool can cause enough heat from using EAN32 to possibly cause a fire/combustion in my SPG? I’m just trying to wrap my head around all this and your explanations are sinking in.....don’t tell my wife this!
I am absolutely not saying that. I'm saying that there is a theoretical risk which has been shown in high pressure, high oxygen environments that lawyers will extrapolate to use of silicone in benign Nitrox situations.
I would not hesitate to use it, except that it's incompatible with my simultaneous work on 100% O2 regs in the same work area. The stuff stays around forever, and should work just fine. But I only have silicone in a separate area I use to service computers whose manufacturers mandate it for their battery compartments.

One final comment about Christolube 111 vs Tribolube 77: if you look at a reg that has been a couple years between service, you'll often see a dry layer of PTFE stuck to threads where the Christolube carrier has disappeared. It's very hard to remove, even with ultrasonic cleaning.
That doesn't seem to happen with Tribolube. It has a subtly different feel to it on your fingers, and seems to stay creamy on a permanent basis, in my experience. I really prefer working with it, myself. That said, Christolube has been a market leader for awhile, and it's tough for Aerospace Lubricants to break into that consumer market. They have a larger industrial following, and there just might not be the revenue in it to be worthwhile.

My 2¢.

I’m replacing my three gauge SPG with a solo psi
I guess you mean you are replacing your three gauge console with a solo SPG?

I guess you mean you are replacing your three gauge console with a solo SPG?
Yes, better put .....lol

Don't buy christolube just for spool o-rings. Use the silicone you have. Don't bother trying to change o-rings on a spool, just take extra spools (they aren't that expensive) or an extra spg with you. If you want to try saving a spool by changing the o-rings on it when you get home - have at it. Also, you're not going to change a tank o-ring.

Sometimes, depending on who you're getting your tanks from, you can have 4 bad tanks in your truck. Throw a few o-rings and a safety pin in your truck. And a tire inflater.

I have spools and I have o rings and now I have 60 different types of lube:confused:

Thanks for the input everyone!

Spools arrived, DS gave me Nitrox friendly juice...everything put back together and checked with the Pony....all’s good to go!

I now have a save a Dive kit that could save the whole boat :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom