What Kind and How Many 0 Rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice selection, but what kind of money is €? Is that Euros? Where are you located?

What @mbs said.

To specifically answer your question,
you might reasonably need a tank o-ring, a low pressure hose ring and a high pressure hose oring. Finally, you might need a spool oring for the connection between your HP hose and SPG/Computer.

Tank orings come in three common sizes.
All are Duro 90, whether Viton, nitrile or polyethylene. Sizes are 2-014 (thin), 2-112 and 2-111. There are others, but not common.
All are probably in the mini tank kit above. I can't remember. Plus it has a tiny brass pick.
Low pressure orings are 2-010 Duro 70, or 2-011 Duro 70.
High pressure orings are 2-011 Duro 90 or 2-012 Duro 90
Spool orings are 2-003. Duro 90 is better for high pressure lines, but they sometimes split when squeezed over a spool because they are so inelastic. In that case, a Duro 70 will work fine.

Viton doesn't matter for Nitrox, but it does have one advantage: LONG shelf life.

The mini tank kit, with the orings switched out or supplemented with Viton orings from Viton Nitrox O-Ring Kit is my solution. Plus I carry thin bicycle wrenches to remove hoses. Sometimes, even a small adjustable wrench has cheeks that are too thick to fit between hose and first stage without spalling the chrome.

In my experience, 9 out of 10 dive boats will just give you another tank rather than fiddle with the tank oring leak. But that won't apply to you, since you said you were shore diving.

I'd drop by your LDS, and ask the tech to show you how to change hoses, how tight to make the connection, and how to use a pick on an oring. And if he has time, have him/her show you how to change a spool oring. Those o-rings are skittish.
Thanks for the education. I was under the impression we were supposed to be using viton for anything involving nitrox. Although I admit it never occurred to me to bring viton o-rings for yoke valves in my save-a-dive kit. I'm glad it's not an issue.

Actually, I thought it was special lube that went into a regulator if it was to be used with nitrox as well. Is that also untrue?

Please get your regs into a pool and try them out before your trip! People have more problems right after service than before!
Best advice ever right there. I've found more than one problem when testing my gear after service. I always find a way to test my gear a week or so before a trip - that way I can get it fixed before traveling if there's an issue and it has time to dry back out before packing.

Actually, I thought it was special lube that went into a regulator if it was to be used with nitrox as well. Is that also untrue?

Special oxygen safe lubes are only applicable for diving with concentrations above recreational EANx40.
That said, silicone is not used by most shops any more, and Christolube is safe for most concentrations. Poseidon mandates a special lube for 100% oxygen above 2500 psi, as I recollect. And I personally use Tribolube 77 instead of Christolube.

But the whole oxygen thing is a non-issue for Nitrox EXCEPT for partial pressure Nitrox blending. In that case, as your course told you, you need an oxygen clean tank and a clean valve with oxygen compatible orings (EPDM or Viton). But even there, when the first stage only sees 40% O2, any modern lube and any oring is fine, though I'd still avoid silicone due to adiabatic heating. Others may disagree.

Nice selection, but what kind of money is €? Is that Euros? Where are you located?

Thanks for the education. I was under the impression we were supposed to be using viton for anything involving nitrox. Although I admit it never occurred to me to bring viton o-rings for yoke valves in my save-a-dive kit. I'm glad it's not an issue.

Best advice ever right there. I've found more than one problem when testing my gear after service. I always find a way to test my gear a week or so before a trip - that way I can get it fixed before traveling if there's an issue and it has time to dry back out before packing.[/QUOT
Yes Euro and i am located in Europe (cyprus island) free delivery globally for all orders over 40 euro

I’m gong to fit a spool into my SPG hose when they arrive today....what is the proper silicone and procedure to wet the orings? I have silicone from my “save a Dive kit “.

TIA,

I would not use silicone. Yes, it lasts forever, but it's on a high pressure line. I'd use Christolube. All you need is the barest minimum coating the oring. Although, I do generously lube the threads of the connectors just to inhibit verdigris corrosion, because that connection is often ignored for years.

If you have a rounded spool, try pressing the spool onto the oring as the oring rests on a firm but giving surface, like a rubber inner tube on a table.
Alternatively, use your two thumb nails to slide the oring around the spool, pushing from both sides simultaneously.
Good luck! Have an extra oring for when you tear one trying.

I would not use silicone. Yes, it lasts forever, but it's one a high pressure line. I'd use Christolube. All you need is the barest minimum coating the oring. Although,I do generously lube the threads of the connectors just to inhibit verdigris corrosion, because that connection is often ignored for years.

If you have a rounded spool, try pressing the spool onto the oring as the oring rests on a firm but giving surface, like a rubber inner tube on a table.
Alternatively, use your two thumb nails to slide the oring around the spool, pushing from both sides simultaneously.
Good luck! Have an extra oring for when you tear one trying.
Thanks! I wonder why the Trident kit then only comes with silicone?

I’m replacing my three gauge SPG with a solo psi......

Just bring extra tanks - we (2 of us) had 6-8 in the truck all week. Many rentals have tank racks and you can leave them there - no one will take them as they can't get them filled.

Don't leave anything else in the truck you want to keep thoguh - and heed the doors unlocked/windows down notice - if a kid wants into your locked truck a chunk of coral works pretty well judging by the broken glass in some of the parking areas.

If you get a bad o-ring just swap the tank and tell the shop when you drop it off. We dove all week and never did.

A lot of Bonaire dive sites are windy (notice all the kitesurferrs) and sandy - neither is conducive to changing an o-ring - unless you close yourself in the truck.

I didn't even open my video housing except in our condo and it has dual o-rings on the back door.

a similar, yet somewhat counterdictive thread on o rings, Vinton and lube?

Dacor Pressure Gauge Hose Replacement

Lots of discussion. Little science.
Silicone can support combustion. That's about the extent of it. Recommending the avoidance of silicone is mostly a protective legal tactic by shops.
Me? I avoid silicone because it's IMPOSSIBLE to clean off 100%. That means it then contaminates my shop and tools. I have a separate area where I work on regs that come in lubed with silicone. Just can't have that stuff around when I'm trying to do deco regs that see 100%.
As for my use of Tribolube instead of Christolube, I once put a gob on a pick and put it in a blue propane flame. The Christolube soon glowed red and smoked just a little, while the Tribolube just sat there. Unscientific, but since it's also available in larger quantities at less cost, I use Tribolube.

Back
Top Bottom