What is your training/equipment day like?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow bud ... ive never heard that word "niggles" ... is that your own or a norm for s africa? very cool but i would be afraid to use it in our local area ...

the OP is a brand new diver less than 10 dives... you wanna give him the ok to solo dive in a pool with no supervision? your prerogative, i suggest buddying up

call me wrong, just my thoughts

I say wrong! If you have been through an accredited OW SCUBA program, been "blessed" with a C-card, and you cant dive in a standard rec pool unsupervised to simply test gear than Darwin's theory should just claim you.

I say wrong! If you have been through an accredited OW SCUBA program, been "blessed" with a C-card, and you cant dive in a standard rec pool unsupervised to simply test gear than Darwin's theory should just claim you.

hey its cool that you feel that way. i respect your opinion. i will not condone or suggest its ok.

furthermore, i am surprised that you work with student divers and feel that anyone "blessed" with a c-card is coherent enough to do so ... or maybe i should congratulate you on never having to deal with the "other students"

;-)

maybe it would be extremely difficult to die or severely harm yourself in normal pool depths but i would pose a very simple question to you since you are all knowing ...
a local pool is 12' deep.

the op jumps in to "test" gear.
hes over weighted (not abnormal) hes fumbling with his inflator and laying against the bottom and than an issue occurs and he freaks. he takes a deep breath and shoots to the surface ... (its the 6th time he is in water and it never crosses his mind to exhale) .... are you under the impression that at 6'6" tall and 320 pounds, this mans lungs will be quite safe since its only 12' deep?

im curious on your all knowing thoughts on this since that is the op's build and a brief history on his skill (but im sure you already knew that too)....

and for others viewing who DO know me, this is precisely the kind of attitude that keeps me out of basic scuba forum discussions ... people who offer the ONLY prefect advice without thinking of the repercussions for the actual diver posing the question ... ugh ...

but im sure you are the best gator ... enjoy

oh yeah and im jealous of your being located in Saipan, not just for the gorgeous natural surroundings but because all of your students and customers are so intelligible that survival of the fittest hasnt grabbed a single one ...

:D

I test gear out at shallow dive sites normally. It's a PITA to hire a pool lane locally and expensive. I can't really share costs as they require third party liability, which I have, but not many buddies have.

So anyway, I go dive in say, 5m of water. Sometimes solo sometimes with a buddy, really depends on who is around :)

I test gear out at shallow dive sites normally. It's a PITA to hire a pool lane locally and expensive. I can't really share costs as they require third party liability, which I have, but not many buddies have.

So anyway, I go dive in say, 5m of water. Sometimes solo sometimes with a buddy, really depends on who is around :)

thats cool and i see nothing wrong with someone with experience doing so. NOTHING really at all.... but for someone fresh out of ow? do you suggest thats "kosher dill" ... curious...

and one hitch to that is there are few to no places other than private lakes and ponds where no one is around that you can do that in (here) and the facilities that do have diver "awareness" require buddy check-in and if you are solo, a beacon ...

as for pools.... again, i'd base that on experience

I ALWAYS hit the pool first. Last thing I want to do is to get caught under the ice when I am not 100% confident. When we do not have ice here, vis in lakes is usually under 3 feet. Not the place to have a buddy easily help you.

As for do I have a process, yes, and sortof. Basically depending on the piece of kit, I start at the OW skills dealing with that gear and work my way up to the more complex actions. Usually with the help of a kind and willing dive shop they will usually let you do this BEFORE you buy the gear. That way if you have difficulties you will know you have a problem before you sink the money into it.

:) Niggles. It is slang. It is litirally translated as "a trifle" or small thing. Used in SA and Britain mostly.

It's an older term used here too by older folks and is in the dictionary just below what RonzoTheGreat is talking about.

Testing gear procedures are procedures that are safe for you.

thats cool and i see nothing wrong with someone with experience doing so. NOTHING really at all.... but for someone fresh out of ow? do you suggest thats "kosher dill" ... curious...

and one hitch to that is there are few to no places other than private lakes and ponds where no one is around that you can do that in (here) and the facilities that do have diver "awareness" require buddy check-in and if you are solo, a beacon ...

as for pools.... again, i'd base that on experience

I think diving solo is a personal decision and I would not try to impose my feelings on the matter onto others. If someone wants to go solo diving straight after OW, their call.

If a new diver asked me for advice though, I'd tell them to wait until they were more experienced.

wow bud ... ive never heard that word "niggles" ... is that your own or a norm for s africa? very cool but i would be afraid to use it in our local area ...
Not too long ago a mayoral aide in Washington DC got fired when he was accused of using a racial slur after saying "niggardly" in a meeting. So he suffered for the ignorance of his staff and the cowardice of his boss--which should surprise nobody.

From Online Etymology Dictionary

niggle
1590s (implied in niggling), possibly from a Scandinavian source (cf. Norw. dial. nigla "be busy with trifles"), perhaps related to source of niggard.

niggard
mid-14c., nygart, of uncertain origin. The suffix suggests French origin (cf. -ard), but the root word is probably related to O.N. hnøggr "stingy," from P.Gmc. *khnauwjaz (cf. Swed. njugg "close, careful," Ger. genau "precise, exact"), and to O.E. hneaw "stingy, niggardly," which did not survive in M.E.

I am a word geek.:wink:

I did not notice the possible racial slur at all. In the South African context any term remotely sounding like "k*****" would be avoided at all cost, "n****" is not colloquial.

I feel uncomfortable typing the words in full. Strange that, even though the context vindicates the usage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom