What is your Scuba-Mobile?

What vehicle do you drive to your Scuba Activities?

• Pickup Truck (both full size and small)

Votes: 92 27.2%
  • SUV (Explorer, Suburban, Tahoe, etc)

Votes: 90 26.6%
  • Car (2 or 4 door)

Votes: 107 31.7%
  • Motorcycle

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I just stand by the road in my Wetsuit and hitchike

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • Mini-Van

Votes: 21 6.2%
  • Full Size Van

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Wagon

Votes: 11 3.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like taking my 98 F-150 w/ a hard tonneau cover. I can store tons of gear and I can lock the hard cover to protect it when I stop at a store. However, when we I go diving with more than one other person it's usually a friend of mine I'm going with that has an extended cab 98 F-150 and we can pile 4-5 people in that and all of our gear in the back.

4 door sedan, and next purchase will be a suv.....thanks to diving for making that decison

'86 Toyota Van with 1,215,000 kms on it. Perfect height for tank donning, routinely carries 15 tanks and gear for 7 people. Great on gas, and way easier to get gear into than my monster FJ55 with 33" mudders (great for the dirt, terrible trying to lift the tanks higher than my nipples!!)

For the record, I once got full gear onto a 72cc scooter, but it was sooooo scary that it was a one-time thing!!

C

When possible, I grab my wife's F150 Supercrew. I have a cage in the bed to which I strap the tanks. The gear goes in the bed and a roll up cover hides the entire package. The bed is covered with a spray on kevlar/plastic bedliner, so no rust in the bed(hopefully).

The Supercrew has a full size four door cabin and a shortened bed. I've fit up to three tech rigs in the back and three tech divers in the cabin.

When I can't get the truck, I pile the rig into the trunk and backseat of an 03 Mercury Marauder. For some reason, I seem to get there a whole lot faster. :D

When I first saw this string I thought the topic was about snowmobiles, ie Skidoo, Arctic Cat etc.

I love snowmobilers. I swear they're all competing for Darwin awards. I get 2 or 3 calls every winter to fish some bozo's sled from under the ice. It appears that open water on a frozen lake is an irresistable magnet to these guys.

Mike D
:blfish:

ps
In Ontario, the owner is responsible to retrieve a sunken sled, there is $10,000 fine from the Ministry of Envirnoment if they don't. Good incentive to get ice diver training eh?

If I'm launching from my house the gear goes in my 1964 SEARAY and I launch with a case farm tractor. General diving, I use the wifes VOYAGER. For Ice diving I clear out my contactor van. I put a chair in there and use it for a changing room. A heated changing room at that.

Jim

I drive a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. I can get to the site and not use lots of gas. Still having room for 4 people and all of their gear. Now if I had to carry all the tanks as well I guess it would get kind of crowded. All in all, I love my sportscar like SUV.
Plan you Dive
Dive you Plan

I have a '78 Ford E-150. Here's a link to all the info:

http://www.moselle.com/~jamesd/van.html

Since I last updated the web page I've installed a second set of fog lights.

The second set, which replaced the first set had been sitting in my girlfriend's dad's garage for 20 years and were still in the box. They look great on the front bumper.

There's plenty of storage space behind the sofa for such things as car tools, dog stuff, ham radio gear, camping gear, hiking gear, computers, and of course scuba stuff.

This van has about 250,000 miles on it. The engine is original but it's getting tired.

I'm considering buying one of those Freightliner Sprintsters once my student loan is paid off. I won't have to cut it up to make it accessable.

The Toyota RAV 4 is basically an SUV for chicks - sort of a 2/3 sized SUV. 2 tanks, 2 scuba bags fit perfectly behind back seat and in front of the wide swing open door in the back. Great scuba mobile.

Of course, I feel a little uncomfortable driving it. Its just too small, and way to girly. Its not Miata or Cabriolet girly, but very close. My Tundra won't work unless we put in gear racks, etc... so for the last few years, its the RAV.

k

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom