What is your IWR Kit Comprised of?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

There were some unfortunate ill-informed comments about in water recompression on this thread. In fact, a recent consensus of experts gives qualified support to the practice. I have posted a link to the relevant paper which is free to download here. More detail on IWR will appear in a follow up paper which focuses more closely on that topic. This will be published in June.

Simon M

Thanks Simon. I think everyone recognizes this is an in extremis situation and it's nice to see researchers and scientists tackling supposedly taboo subjects that break paradigms.

Anyone have thoughts on CEJN vs. Swagelok connectors? I've seen a thread or two on other forums, but those were years old. Omniswivel, Seaquest-type connectors, or the pricier, and seemingly more complicated Swagelok connectors.

Thanks Simon. I think everyone recognizes this is an in extremis situation and it's nice to see researchers and scientists tackling supposedly taboo subjects that break paradigms.

Anyone have thoughts on CEJN vs. Swagelok connectors? I've seen a thread or two on other forums, but those were years old. Omniswivel, Seaquest-type connectors, or the pricier, and seemingly more complicated Swagelok connectors.

pros and cons. Mine has qc6's from Swagelok on it because it meshes with the rebreather. If it is a dedicated IWR kit, it doesn't really matter so long as you can plug in. They all flow enough for those depths so if you have a high flow qd you use on something else, match it to those.

. . .
I used the Z-system harness and distribution block fed by Swagelok QC6's to a Gas source (Plug-in Oxygen or Air for ppO2 breaks), the other end going to a breathing 2nd Stage Regulator, or optionally a FFM which is safer in case of Ox-Tox seizure.

Are there any pure O2 rebreathers that aren't primarily made for combat swimmers? Maybe it's just semantics but I never considered mixed gas eCCR an O2 rebreather. All the pure Oxygen units I'm familiar with are dumb -- no electronics, sensors, batteries, etc.

I think the issue came up because I mentioned that I have made them for use in chambers and underwater in remote locations where Oxygen availability was very limited and/or expensive.

For awhile white arrow made an O2 RB specifically for deco. Their website is awful now and its a bit of a mystery if it's still made. It looked like the front mounted triton or a drager dolphin minus the case.

pros and cons. Mine has qc6's from Swagelok on it because it meshes with the rebreather. If it is a dedicated IWR kit, it doesn't really matter so long as you can plug in. They all flow enough for those depths so if you have a high flow qd you use on something else, match it to those.
I have one mostly built from an old drager Ray scrubber and a MSR bag (I still need a DSV). Mine uses an AL6 of O2 for up to about 2 hours of deco or IWR. It has no ADV, but does have an orifice. It can also offboard more O2 via a BC whip.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom