What is your favorite type of BC?

What is your favorite type of BC (not neccesarily what you have)?

• Jacket Style

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • Back Plate and Wing

Votes: 60 49.6%
  • Rear Inflation

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have no preference

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my point of view, there is no perfect BCD – it all depends on the type of diving you need or want to do.

On most dives I do use a stainless steel backplate with a wing. I have several wings with lifts ranging from 35 to 65 pounds.

I have also converted some more traditional wing-style BCD’s to side-mount diving rigs. I feel that a wing needs to be easy to adjust, has some d-rings (most technical divers clip all their equipment to the BCD to streamline their profile), and is rugged. Heavier material is more preferable than 420 Nylon, for example.

However, if you are getting your feet wet, a traditional jacket-style BCD might be best for you.

I dive with a Scubapro jacket BC. I have had other types of BCs but eventually I find my Scubapro to be the one I use most. Eventually I just stopped looking at replacing a piece of equipment that I had no reason to replace. I guess I too am a traditionalist. Thugh I guess 'NO BCD" is even more traditionalist.

I dive both a Zeagle and DR TransPac. The Zeagle hugs you tight, is all in one, and is a solid rear inflate. I like the DR because of its slimmer profile, modularity, and multi-functionality.

I tested a BP/W, with a Hog harness, and perhaps it's something that grows on you, but found it less forgiving. I like being able to adjust for the nylon loosening up when wet, on the fly, with the DR and Zeagle, and I also like the easy on/off, with the quick releases. I know some view them as failure points, however, I've never... ever... had any of them fail, and that includes BCs, climbing harnesses, skydiving harnesses, and other sundry sports equipment...

The style is much less important than other consideration, IMO. I've used vests, back inflates, BP/wings, horse collars and have even dived with no BC at all (which is Nemrod's preference). When conditions allow it, the sweetest dives do happen with no BC. The most important considerations are is the BC streamlined (a good thing) and does it trap air (a bad thing)?

BP/wings are not preferred by the majority, but do have a very vocal support group here.

Isaac-1:
Call me a traditionalist if you like, but my favorite is still a real Scubapro jacket (not front adjustable) with weights in a weightbelt.

Still sold as the Classsic Sport and it's as good as any BC and much better than most. It's my personal favorite.

The answers you see here will vary greatly from overall population of divers. In my experience, most divers use a traditional jacket style, although back inflation types are becoming more popular. The problem with this survey here is you are asking ScubaBoard members. There is a reason we all come here to talk (and occasionally argue) about techniques, equipment, locations, etc... As a whole, I believe that ScubaBoard members are those who really love to dive regardless of time or place, not just once a year during a warm water vacation.

That being said, those are the types of people that tend to take it more serious and want to progress further in knowledge, training, and experience. That lends well to using a BP/W as it is required in most tech applications.

I am not saying it is a bad idea for a new diver. Actually, I just put together my new BP/W system and had I know how much my love for diving would grow, I would have purchased it in the beginning. Then again it is not for everyone and I feel that ScubaBoarders tend to represent one end of the dive spectrum much more than another.

Just enjoy the diving and good luck with your equipment purchase! You will love it no matter what you get!

Yes, focus on the diving and not on the equipment. To get started, a jacket-style BCD is probably easier to master that a BP/Wing combination.

As in no BC on the list or no BC what so ever?Your not still using empty clorox jugs are you?

None, nada, zip, zippo, without but the chlorox jugs do come in handy as does picking up the occasional rock if I guessed my lead wrong. :rofl3:.

I was down a month or so back on vacation, about 110 feet, on an artificial reef when I came across the most wonderful anchor. So, I tried to pick it up, nope, reached for my sausage, nope, guess I forgot it. Hmm, Then I tried dragging it over to my anchor and tying my anchor to it but it was to heavy to drag so then I tried to walk with it, nope, that did not work either (that is when spring strap number two broke). It confounded my best efforts :( . It was about then I realized if I could just be normal and compliant like all of you guys I would have that wonderful brass anchor on my porch steps now. But I don't and I ain't. N

(No, it was not part of the wreck, it was a cut off.)

I just would like to know what everyone's favorite type of BC is, so I know what should be a good purchase.
I have seen a pretty solid majority prefer BP/w systems. Why do you like what you have?
Just trying to get a feel for what a good style BC is, so I have an idea of what to purchase.
Asking this question here is not even remotely a good way to learn what divers in the real world prefer, never mind a good way to figure out which is the best BC for you.

Whatever BC fits and supports the gear required by your diving. With those 2 covered style does not make the diver.

Integration of weights is best limited to what needs to be there to adjust trim. Weights on a belt or harness by preference or lack of hips puts the diver in a much better situation if he or she needs to get out of their rig at depth.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom