What is your favorite shoe for scuba, and why are they Crocs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can find Deep 6 here, it is even more expensive , due to postage, I bought a SP Mk19 first stage here for $210 US, and a G260 [can't remember the price], but it was way cheaper than you guys can buy them, so you guys are being ripped off on some brands.
Interesting!

An even bigger ripoff than that is people (especially new divers) who are convinced to buy whatever limited edition titanium special-color reg, things like the atomic TFX, thinking that more expensive must mean better and anything less is cheaping out on "safety".

More to the point, some people also choose to wear footwear that is an order of magnitude more expensive than crocs, even though crocs are objectively the best shoe for all scenarios.

An even bigger ripoff than that is people (especially new divers) who are convinced to buy whatever limited edition titanium special-color reg, things like the atomic TFX, thinking that more expensive must mean better and anything less is cheaping out on "safety".

So it is a ripoff to buy a high end Mercedes or Bentley??

No need to be insulting and judgemental here.

Keens to the boat.

NRS Kickers on the boat.

1683465690936.jpeg

When I finally get off my duff and level up with a dry suit, perhaps I’ll switch to some Crocs. One can always sipe the soles using a box cutter with the blade set shallow for uniform depth.

Objectively, 100%, yes. Especially if you are duped into buying it on the false pretense that it's somehow better, safer, or more reliable than a Toyota.

I suppose someone who is buying flashy luxury versions of things purely as a status symbol to flex isn't necessarily a sucker, but might be something else...

somehow better, safer, or more reliable than a Toyota.

You haven't driven or owned any of them, have you? You should see Toyota vs. Mercedes in accidents. Your statement isn't even close.

I have either owned or driven the above, inaddition to other car brands, I rather drive a mercedes/Audi (or Bently if I can afford it) for safety/comfort and reliability.

You can totally skimp on scuba regulators, even the "cheap" ones are generally more than good enough to be safe and effective for most things. :stirpot: Seriously though, the "expensive" ones have very rapidly diminishing returns vs. price. I'm not talking about the bottom of the barrel no-name chinese stuff, but something from Deep6 will be as good or better than whatever premium reg you can spend $2000 on.
Still cannot stomach the Crocs -- but on that subject of skimping on regulators: unless you're headed to Bonaire for ten days and that cheap-o equipment relegated to a closet until the end of time, I tend to agree; but take it from someone who has worked on regulators for years, that there are differences, both in design and, more importantly, long-term customer support.

Back in 1993, I updated some of my older dive gear and bought two new Poseidon regulators on sale at the late-great Pacific Offshore Divers in San Jose, a Cyklon 5000 and an Odin (Jetstream), for a total of about US 600.00.

A couple of my friends thought that I was out of my mind, at the time, though that equipment is still in use today and parts remain readily available -- and a couple of those same friends had bought and / or re-bought several mid-range regulators over that same period of time, when they were no longer capable of finding servicing -- either having been discontinued and / or parts being no longer available; and one even had an Oceanic second stage detach from its hose, at depth.

I am proud to say that I know of no one who has spent two grand on a regulator, for whatever reason . . .

So glad this thread has started.
I started w crocs ages back for dive boats.
Now I don’t wear anything else.
But…you need to get the industrial ones. Think they’re called bistro pro. Only in black and white. You need to drill the holes yourself.
But they’re made out of thicker material that lasts years (and I’m a big guy, I can trash a normal pair in months) and they have these no slip soles that will stick to wet glass.

I don’t care how I look, I’m a convert.
And I get gout. They rattle around so there’s loads of room for my fat toe!

Attachments

• D175BBD9-D633-477B-A467-FE914284B41C.jpeg
    D175BBD9-D633-477B-A467-FE914284B41C.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 40
If you can find Deep 6 here, it is even more expensive , due to postage, I bought a SP Mk19 first stage here for $210 US, and a G260 [can't remember the price], but it was way cheaper than you guys can buy them, so you guys are being ripped off on some brands.
“You guys are being ripped off on some brands”,
Ya think!!!!

No need to be insulting and judgemental here.
If you could buy that Mercedes or Bentley for half the price in Europe than in the US, is that considered a ripoff in the US?
I think this is more to the point. Why do things like an American brand regulator need to be double the price in the US? Answer: because they can.
All Americans are filthy rich so it doesn’t matter, at least that’s how the rest of the world sees it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom