What is your fascination with Harry Potter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you actually, yanno, read one of the books, then you might be able to have an informed opinion about the subject. Since you haven't you don't & can't. if the notion of people enjoying something that doesn't interest you truly bothers you so much, perhaps some therapy may be in order?

Incidentally, although I seem to be in a minority (go figure), I happened to *like* the epi. :biggrin:

It would be wrong of me to feed the troll, but is it entertaining to anyone else that someone whose nick comes from mythology would be so adamantly against people enjoying fantasy literature? :rofl3: (And don't bother replying, nereas. I know that ancient mythology is *oh* so much more high-brow than that drivel the whippersnappers pass off for stories these days. Aeschylus was *so* much more mature than J*R.)

ClayJar:
It would be wrong of me to feed the troll, but is it entertaining to anyone else that someone whose nick comes from mythology would be so adamantly against people enjoying fantasy literature? :rofl3: (And don't bother replying, nereas. I know that ancient mythology is *oh* so much more high-brow than that drivel the whippersnappers pass off for stories these days. Aeschylus was *so* much more mature than J*R.)
Here's a challenge for him... Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis

Clay, I'm with you on the epi. I kinda liked it.

There were a lot of deaths in this one, but I expected that. The only good way to bring this to an end was to have an all out war between the 2 sides & that's what she did. Obviously some characters were killed that we would have chosen not to, but that's what happens in a war. Some things are worth fighting & if necessary dying for.

we're multi taskers. We can read books about scuba diving, spear fishing, computer programming, science fiction, horror/fantasy, historical biographies, you name it. In fact, I usually have 2 or 3 books going at the same time as well as a half dozen magazines on diving, computers, guns, hunting, politics & so forth.

Henry Rollins has something to say about Harry Potter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9S5-EB8dR8
Seriously though, there's absolutely nothing wrong with entertainment for the sake of entertainment. I've been dating women when each of the movies came out who were interested in seeing them, so I've seen almost all of them. But that said, I'm definitely not going to re-read all the books and debate their "philosophy".

The books are entertaining. That's why I read them, and why I'll eventually get around to reading the latest one. I enjoy them, and I'm definately post-pubescent, so no... they're not just for pre-pubescents. I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings books too, and no... the Harry Potter books aren't very much like them at all despite both being from the fantasy genre.

I have NO fascination with Harry Potter. I've read none of the books, and only watched a portion of the first movie before I got bored. Much rather be diving (or even editing my video) than spending time with Potter. However, the books have gotten a lot of young people to read instead of playing video games.

drbill:
I have NO fascination with Harry Potter. I've read none of the books, and only watched a portion of the first movie before I got bored. Much rather be diving (or even editing my video) than spending time with Potter. However, the books have gotten a lot of young people to read instead of playing video games.

Actually, I saw something the other day about the Harry Potter phenomena and young kids reading. It was felt that HP would launch a fascination with reading that would go beyond the HP phenomena. They've pretty much found that the number of kids who are into reading is no greater since HP than it was before. They're back to playing video games!:)

its not just encouraging kids to read. on saturday i saw families sitting in cafes, parents reading to kids and visa versa while having their coffees/hot chocs - it was good to see

and Dr Bill.... as a studious kinda guy, dont you want the nerdy/geeky kid being the hero, getting the girl and making the world a safer place???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom