What is your ebay experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R

redacted

I noticed in another thread which reports a bad experience with a stolen drysuit on ebay, an LDS owner/employee posted:

oly5050user:
sorry on bad experience ..pm if interested in getting a suit ..we are in NYC-Bronx.
maybe take this as a learning experience and instead of buying the suit ebay go to a lds and get one.small stuff on ebay I guess ok but this kind of money??..this is a very common problem and shows buyer beware..you are very lucky that the lds owner gave you $..as you said you had stolen property and he did not have to..at the lds I teach at we sell that suit at (I am not in the store now so this is a estimate)I believe $1894.,.list at $2178.stock xl..we also try dui site for factory 2nds ..of course if available it is less.. this includes a full speciality class where you learn not only to use the suit but care and maintence..repair..hope this not come off too negative to you all but I have seen it over and over with people buying a dry suit/computer/regulator/.camera etc on ebay and such and then being surprised on either it does not work/fit /not the real thing...if you purchase this way again as I said buyer beware...

I've got a fair number of ebay purchases include about 8 regulators (used and none over $200) and have never had anything other than fully satisfactoy transactions.
Am I one of the few lucky one or is this just another scare tactic to keep folks away from the competition?

If you're careful, eBay's fairly safe. I've made many purchases, some big ones, and I've never had a problem.

Here's a link to my advice about buying on eBay if anyone's interested. -I originally posted this on another thread, then decided to keep a copy for future reference! :wink:

With the single exception of my Dry Suit problem I have had good experiences.

I have purchased regs, and other SCUBA gear, all with fantastic results. Good gear low prices and prompt shipping with excellent communications with sellers in each instance.

I have also purchased some high dollar electrical test equipment, specifically a 1 year old piece of equipment for under half of its $2500 new price. This item was not stolen, had a clean paper trail, and calibrated nicely.

When I want new stuff I do not usually run to eBay for it. New stuff I want with a warranty and from a retailer that I can deal with in the event of a problem. For used stuff where price is a larger concern over factory fresh quality and support eBay is a good source.

Mark Vlahos

I have purchased a fair amount of stuff off ebay. So far I have never been ripped off. i believe most everything I have gotten is not stolen either. I do not buy used tools and the like from Ebay. I do buy power tools from suppliers on Ebay, but if you read what they are selling they are simply E-tailers. I just bought a nice 7mm semi-dry wetsuit from Ebay and it was exactly as described and looks like it was used only once or twice.

Most important thing is to read feedback, but when there is a negative read why and see if there was a reply back trying to solve the problem. Many times it is the buyers fault.

I have spent thousands on ebay. One purchase was a car even. You must be careful as with all transactions. As someone said - look at the feedback and rating. What that person has bought and sold, etc.

Feedback is key... reading the auction extremely carefully is another good idea.

Go with your gut, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

I usually:

1) Look and find something I want
2) Verify that the price is decent
3) Look at the feedback, including reading the comments
4) Read the auction carefully, making sure I know exactly what condition they're claiming the item is in, any warranty, etc.
5) Read the shipping policy carefully... if they're gauging for shipping, I might move on.
6) Maybe shoot the seller a question or two

And if I like all of that,

7) Bid.

Hasn't failed me yet...

-Brandon.

I've have purchased some things on e/bay and have a couple of things more to add to the excellent suggestions above
Bidding, try to stick to your maximum bid and not get caught up in out bidding someone else , It's surprising how easy it is for this to happen (I may raise my bid once, if I'm outbid by only one bid, at the last minute of bidding, if I really want it, but be careful you don't fall into the bidding war trap)
Look at the feedback sure, but also look at how long they have been regestered there too

DB

Pretty good experiences with ebay. Most of the stuff I've bought there have been just as described. I did buy one dry suit that was described as being in excellent condition. It was far from it. I left negative feedback, filed a complaint, never got my money back, but I did resell the suit with an accurate description for the same amount I bought it for. All's good in the end.

I've purchased both big & small items (camcorder, digital cam, memory sticks, batteries, books,etc.) - scored a brand new Ikelite housing for less than half price - and only had one negative experience. Followed the PayPal dispute process, was made whole by PP. Turned out to be an inexperienced seller who made the process right, in the end.

Can only re-iterate the already good advice: read the feedback, trust your instincts, and don't hesitate to file a dispute if you think you're being strung along.

Way too many snipers. Many just try to resell the stuff at a profit later.
Also get shipping quoted BEFORE YOU BID. Was about to buy a used knife once, found shipping was more than I paid for shipping on a tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom