What is your ebay experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, as someone already mentioned, if you leave negative feedback for someone that person will almost definitely retaliate by leaving negative feedback for you. Consequently, there are many people out there who should have far more negative feedback than they do because of the VERY strong disincentive for leaving negative feedback at all. What most people, in my experience (and I have spoken with many an ebayer), tend to do is simply not leave any feedback when they are dissatisfied. So, most bad sellers will not only have an inflated positive feedback rating, but they will in fact have conducted far more transactions than indicated by their feedback--as there is no record anywhere of the goods and prices of transactions for which no feedback was left. I myself am a perpetrator--on 4 or 5 occasions I simply chose to leave no feedback when an item was misrepresented--and this is the most difficult problem to avoid and resolve on ebay (you can get your money back through PP if no goods were ever received, but generally you are stuck when an item was misrepresented). People do tend to inflate the description of products. In short, for scuba gear, it is a good idea to buy only new or near new stuff--or stuff whose origin/history the seller convincingly relays to you. It is also a good idea--GENERALLY--to avoid buying scuba gear located in Florida, California, and Hawaii, where salt water usage is heavy and the markets are complex (there are of course exceptions--but in my experience more caution is required in these places). It is also wise to avoid buying gear from dive shop owners that are dumping the rental stuff. Dive shop owners also know how to dump other lousy gear effectively--like by sticking a new hose on a beat up reg or gauge (then when you get the reg or gauge and complain about the poor condition, they will tell you: "what do you expect for the price...the hose alone runs for $35"). Know what you are buying and get a good feel for the seller by asking a couple of detailed questions and, with more expensive items, even speaking with him/her on the phone. Ebay does allow access to incredible gear otherwise difficult or impossible to find elsewhere or prohibitively expensive at a dive shop. But you have to be careful. My 2 cents.

devolution365:
I caution those of you who rely only on feedback to determine a "good" seller from a "bad" one. It can be easily got around by selling 99 $5 T-shirts, then 1 brick-in-a-box laptop for $2000. And what's the seller got? -99% good feedback!

Hence my thurough write-up on purchasing on eBay ;-)
In addition to looking at the feedback ratings, I will usually click on the item and see what kind of stuff they have been selling and buying in the past. If there is negative feedback, I will also look at the feedback for the person that left the negative comment. Most of the time they have several negatives, which leads me to beleive that someone is "fishing" and the seeler got caught in the middle.

I have had 95% or so pleasant business experiences on eBay. I'd say this is better than my retail experiences - and I'm not talking solely about scuba gear by any means!!!

rmannix:
Way too many snipers. Many just try to resell the stuff at a profit later.
Also get shipping quoted BEFORE YOU BID. Was about to buy a used knife once, found shipping was more than I paid for shipping on a tank.

Excellent point about the shipping. I recently saw a Uwatec Dive computer for $10. Shipping was listed at $150. That's right, $150! Turns out the guy was trying to minimize whatever percentage went to EBay and was charging the cost of the computer in shipping. Didn't sound like such a great deal then.

I love ebay. as others have said just ask questions and always try and pay by credit card. way more protection then by paypal or money order. When buying dive gear one has to be carfull on what there buying so it is a good idea to get someone that is familiar with an item you may want to purchase and ask him or her about it. We all know dive gear is very expensive , but if one is paying attention one can score some great savings by shopping Ebay
Finder

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom