What is weight of the biggest lobster........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the chance to bag a few 4-5 pounders.

My instructor from years ago got one of these 35-40 pounders (it might have been 100 years old). She has the shell mounted on a wall. She told me it was the worst lobster she ever had. Seems like anything over 5 pounds or so is pretty tough.

I have the chance to bag a few 4-5 pounders.

My instructor from years ago got one of these 35-40 pounders (it might have been 100 years old). She has the shell mounted on a wall. She told me it was the worst lobster she ever had. Seems like anything over 5 pounds or so is pretty tough.

I can vouch for the 13 pounders . they are still most excellent. on mega bugs you need to cook the claws separate from the tail as the claws will be done way too early and get rubbery and nasty. same for big legs ...steam them separate.

I can vouch for the 13 pounders . they are still most excellent. on mega bugs you need to cook the claws separate from the tail as the claws will be done way too early and get rubbery and nasty. same for big legs ...steam them separate.

Interesting, and a good idea. I hope I get the chance to try your idea. Dive safe.

I've taken 2 big lobsters off the Cape 10lb and 6lb. In my opinion it's a fallacy that the big ones taste bad; most people tend to overcook the larger ones.

The 10lb one was probably the best tasting lobster I have ever cooked and was not rubbery at all.

I agree with Md Spear, cook body and claws separately.

'Big lobsters are tough lobsters' is a myth perpetuated by people who catch chix. :D

PTN

Great pictures and info.

For me the excitement of catching big legal keepers is just as much as eating them......:D

I guess it is just a matter of finding them..........:wink:

Thanks for your input!

'Big lobsters are tough lobsters' is a myth perpetuated by people who catch chix. :D

PTN

:classic:
although I like to eat young meat :D:D
Yep, ripping the big legs off and steaming them separate from the main bug body just till the legs turn red gives new life to the the gourmet table as they are much better than alaskin king crab legs [probably cause its fresh meat]

Attachments

• wade_and_bug_2.jpg
    wade_and_bug_2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 59
  • img030.jpg
    img030.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 57
The largest lobster ever caught was caught off my home waters of Nova Scotia, Canada in 1977. It measured 41 inches from nose to tail and weighed in at 44.4 pounds.

... Seems like anything over 5 pounds or so is pretty tough.

Not at all! Don't know about any of the mega-lobstahs (30-40 lbs) but the more manageable 5-20 lbs are taaaasty! I'll take any you catch... :wink:

Attachments

• 12 1-2 lb lobster.jpg
    12 1-2 lb lobster.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 81
Before the large gauge took effect 8 to 10 lbs on occation. Biggest I've seen was 35lbs in Joe's Lobster Market in1980 Crushed a Large Quahog with his Crusher

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom