What is up with air fares?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelpmermaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been keeping track of air fares for a domestic trip during the Christmas holidays, and prices seem to be very volatile right now. I thought things were expensive last week, and then I checked again yesterday...Is this related to the recent bankruptcy filing by US Air, or is it still too early to tell where prices will go? Natasha, any thoughts you would care to share?

All of us are trying to stay out of bankruptcy, yet still remain low enough where people will fly us. Check again 30 to 40 days before you plan to fly, as most airlines base their discount fairs on a 27 day advance purchase. You will probably see fares announced for the Christmas season somehwere around the middle of November. That way we will be able to tell what we can get away with. Airlines will also lower fares if they see that they are not going to make any money using the fares they are, in hopes of getting more people on a plane. All the airlines are pretty much running scared right now. Delta was the only one with cash on hand last year when attacks took place. Pretty much every other airline has been fighting to keeps it head above water since then. It is a very possibile we will see another major carrier go bankrupt before the end of the year.

I thought that might have something to do with it - the air fares I have been watching are on Delta and American. I am sensitive not just to price, but also to schedule, so I was planning to wait and see what shakes out. I assume there will be schedule cutbacks or readjustments, so I didn't want to pay a premium price based on schedule for a flight the airline will change anyway...

Hi Kelpmermaid:
We always say we need a crystal ball to know what the airlines are going to do next. Another words, they surprise us all the time.
My suggestion would be to look at the fares ON Labor Day. Sometimes (a least in the past) they have run specials if air is purchased on a holiday, because it is a slow day for them, so they throw some deals out to generate business.
If they don't run anything that day, wait until after the holiday to do anything.
They have been showing low fares up to travel December 15th right now.
Dates after that traditionally have been considered " High season." This is when they try to make the most money. But if it's a soft start, they will dump a little bit of inventory at lower prices.
I'd say keep on it everyday, it changes like the wind!
Hope that helped.

kelpmermaid once bubbled...
I have been keeping track of air fares for a domestic trip during the Christmas holidays, and prices seem to be very volatile right now. I thought things were expensive last week, and then I checked again yesterday...Is this related to the recent bankruptcy filing by US Air, or is it still too early to tell where prices will go? Natasha, any thoughts you would care to share?

kelpmermaid-
Do you ever check the prices for adventure tours or mlt worry free vacations? I check those every sunday in the sunday paper. I used adventure tours for my last vacation. They always have package deals,,,airfare, hotel and transfers. These two companies have been the cheapest that I have found so far.

Amber

it is a trip to Mom's in Florida for the holidays, so that is destination specific. With any luck, though, we might get in some diving...

With the impending 500 lay-offs at American, it's hard to say what routes will be cheap.

Many people I know are worried that their flights will be rescheduled which could change vacation plans fast.

I's recommedn watching for prices and schedules after the latest lay-offs. --Starfish (with family in the business)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom