What is THIS???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajb

Reaction score
I was snorkeling with my family this last summer down in the warm ocean waters and my son found this in about 3 feet of water. I have been asked a couple of times what it was and, honestly, I have no idea! What do you all think?

Attachments

• PIC_0033.JPG
    PIC_0033.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited by a moderator:
Never saw one that wasn't flattened out nor as big as this... thanks! Probably 7 inches long, 5 inches wide, and 4 inches tall... big un...

They're types of sand dollars, sea urchins, some call them sea biscuits. Do a search with "class Echinoidea", should give you a bunch of information.

Here in Hawaii they are called Heart Urchins and the Helmet Snail eats them (that's where the hole came from, probably). They live and travel under the sand. When they are alive they are a purple/red with short bristles all over them.
If you are diving and start to see a bunch of the white hollow shells, look for a Helmet Snail!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom