What is this tank code??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You would think that with the REE number stamped on the tank, testing for the '+' rating would be trivial. The shop doesn't even have to think!

If a tank originally had a '+' rating and the REE number is well documented, there is no reason in the world for a hydro test facility to not test for it. The tank may not pass the '+' test but that's a different story.

Richard
Unfortunately hydro test facilities do not always think. There are many misinformed testers. Some say that the "+" is only good for the first five years and can not be hydroed and requalified with the "+". Which is untrue.

Another hydro center said they would not hydro test the tank and qualify it with a plus because someone filling the tank my not know what they are doing and may over fill the tank by 50%. Now I ask you is that some crazy reasoning as why they shouln't hydro the tank with a "+".

Other hydro facilities will not do the "+" because it requires different paper work and they don't want to be bothered. I had called about 15 hydro centers and they all refused to do the plus.

Unfortunately hydro test facilities do not always think. There are many misinformed testers. Some say that the "+" is only good for the first five years and can not be hydroed and requalified with the "+". Which is untrue.

Another hydro center said they would not hydro test the tank and qualify it with a plus because someone filling the tank my not know what they are doing and may over fill the tank by 50%. Now I ask you is that some crazy reasoning as why they shouln't hydro the tank with a "+".

Other hydro facilities will not do the "+" because it requires different paper work and they don't want to be bothered. I had called about 15 hydro centers and they all refused to do the plus.

There's a reason for that -- and it might have something to do with your location. :eyebrow: How many people in New York think they know what is good for you, better than you do?

Whatever happened to "the customer is always right" (especially when the CFR sides with the customer?!) ???

Here was my latest hydro experience:

1: Bring tanks in, introduce myself.

2: "I would like these cylinders hydro'd, and I would also be very happy if you would follow the recommended Pressed Steel pre-test hydro procedures. I would also like these cylinders tested for the + rating."

3: "Sure, no problem!" They were not familiar with the PST pre-test procedure; but I came prepared and gave them a copy.

4: Pick up tanks a few days later -- complete with new + rating, all the hydro (and pre-test) results, and pay $9.50/cylinder. :)

Back
Top Bottom